Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil burn 3.8 warranty work

Old 01-25-2014, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil burn 3.8 warranty work

My 3.8 is burning oil. I'm looking to take it to the dealer for a consumption test. Anyone have any info to make it easier or shed some light on the whole process. Thanks
Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a 2010 that was burning oil like crazy. I started the test and the dealer required me to change the oil there. They added a dye to see if it was leaking out anywhere. Funny thing is, it hasn't burned a drop of factory oil. Biggest challenge is to find a dealer you can trust. Mine didn't require any tape over the plug or goo under the dipstick. They wanted we to check my level. Best I can figure was that my engine hated synthetic and oil weight out of spec. Make sure you change your pcv valve as well, that can cause burning.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Agree dealer makes all the difference. Only other advice I would give is to work with the dealer be firm but polite and patient.Let them know you know what your talking about.

After two consumption tests they dealer went and replaced pistons, rings, bearings, and valve seals under power train warranty....at 65,000KM

Prior to this work Jeep was burning 450ml per week (750km)

Rebuild solved this amount of consumption. Now at 130,000 I burn about 800ml for 5,500 km traveled....or simply put each oil change cycle. I have switched to 5w30 about a year ago, keep an eye on air filter and PCV. Ran a can of Mopar CCC about 4 months ago...fixed the pinging....but it seems that my motor just drinks 800 ml or so every oil change.

Check your oil once a week regardless of what you drive!!!!!

Best of luck to the OP go get your dealer to fix this
Old 01-26-2014, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by big c
My 3.8 is burning oil. I'm looking to take it to the dealer for a consumption test. Anyone have any info to make it easier or shed some light on the whole process. Thanks
What year, how many miles, what oil, what oil change interval, and how much consumption?

(Sorry if you already posted that, I'm on the mobil app and don't see any info)

Check the dipstick yourself before they seal it for the test. People have reported overfills by dealers before test.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

It's a 09 x all stock. I use 5w-20 Mobil one full synthetic and I change it every 4k ( yes I know I can go longer not here to talk about that) I have about 46k on her I just changed the oil and had to add more 500 miles latter. It was just above the bottom of the " safe zone" line. I check it every time I fill up. On flat ground when the engine is cold and sat over night ( so before I go get gas). I have changed the pcv and no luck. No leaks no smoke or any other sings I can think of. Should I try a thinker oil and also try conventional oil Or any other ideas.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a 09 x all stock. I use 5w-20 Mobil one full synthetic and I change it every 4k ( yes I know I can go longer not here to talk about that) I have about 46k on her I just changed the oil and had to add more 500 miles latter. It was just above the bottom of the " safe zone" line. I check it every time I fill up. On flat ground when the engine is cold and sat over night ( so before I go get gas). I have changed the pcv and no luck. No leaks no smoke or any other sings I can think of. Should I try a thinker oil and also try conventional oil Or any other ideas.
So down a quart after 500 miles? Wow, that's a lot. Any warranty, like the lifetime power train?

You could try a thicker oil but that doesn't work for too many. I'd be thinking rings.

Maybe get a compression/leak down test.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I was running the mobil one synthetic. I would try running 5w-20 not synthetic. I tried heavier weight synthetic and had the same results. I've read numerous posts about our motors not liking it. O8 and 09 definitely had their share of oil burners though. There is no reason he dealer should seal your dipstick. It just means they don't trust you! Mine did over fill mine but they told and showed me that they did. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

When I got the jk I got the extended lifetime warranty so I just hope they take care of it if not I'm going to trade it in on something. Love my jk tho and don't really have money to throw around. Trying to get a house.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

I am doing a consumption test now , 1qt per 700 miles they want me back in 1000 miles, we shall see.

Tom
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Super Freak

I went in and they filled it with 5w30 I go back in in 3000

Quick Reply: Oil burn 3.8 warranty work