Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Beginner Question -- Motor Oil and Filter Brand Preference

Old 01-28-2014, 03:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Question -- Motor Oil and Filter Brand Preference

Looking for opinions on which brands owners use for their JK's. Mine is 2010 stock.

Thanks for your help. akk
Old 01-28-2014, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, are you opening up a monster thread. Hold on to your hat when the responses start rolling in. Try searching the forum on oil and filter recommendations. My advice, use what you want that meets OEM specs. Watch oil consumption and have fun. Welcome
Old 01-28-2014, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewkraemer
Looking for opinions on which brands owners use for their JK's. Mine is 2010 stock.

The 1998 F-150 oil filter is a perfect match for the 3.8 motor, except it is physically longer. It fits fine, and has the correct back pressure relief valve. In fact, I have mine on a Glowshift sandwich plate for an oil pressure sensor--still room left. I currently use Napa Gold filters, which are actually Wix filters. I use Mobil 1 Extended Life motor oil--5W-30.

Edit: I should have specified for the 4.2L Ford motor above.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-28-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is 2009 with 113,000 miles.

Only use conventional Valvoline 10W-30 and WIX filters.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

The 1998 F-150 oil filter is a perfect match for the 3.8 motor, except it is physically longer. It fits fine, and has the correct back pressure relief valve. In fact, I have mine on a Glowshift sandwich plate for an oil pressure sensor--still room left. I currently use Napa Gold filters, which are actually Wix filters. I use Mobil 1 Extended Life motor oil--5W-30.
I've heard of doing this, does it cause any issues with oil pressure or anything? Also given that the filter is larger and holds more oil could that create issues with having enough oil at a given time because more oil is in the filter as opposed to flowing through the engine?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Jeep forums, motorcycle forums, tuner car forums, there's always an oil thread. If you're going to start one, have flame retardant underwear, cause it's gonna get hot. Lol.
Any spec 'd oil will suffice. Ditto with filters. Read around on different review sites, search here, make your own choices based on that.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TJM12
I've heard of doing this, does it cause any issues with oil pressure or anything? Also given that the filter is larger and holds more oil could that create issues with having enough oil at a given time because more oil is in the filter as opposed to flowing through the engine?
Ummm, you'd add enough oil to make up for the extra capacity of the larger filter. Full is full.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
No, the oil pressure is fine. The oil capacity difference is perhaps a cup at the most--not enough to worry about adding more oil to make up for it. When/if your oil drops to the "Add 1 Quart" line, do that. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

I have 133K miles running these larger filters. And do monitor the oil pressure ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Work, Sep 13, 5_9826, Engine Fan Switch.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	527007
Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewkraemer

My personal preference is Fram filters and I like Castrol GTX oil...on a side note I use Valvoline for my gear oils:thumbup: never have had any issues ever on ANY vehicle including TWO 2010 JKU Jeeps...Go with whatever ur lil heart desires!

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly, 9 times out of 10 the oil you are running won't matter, so long as you change it on a regular basis.

I have only run Mobile1 in the last few vehicles I've owned, never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Beginner Question -- Motor Oil and Filter Brand Preference