Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rustoleum Bed Liner HELP!

Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustoleum Bed Liner HELP!

I just used this stuff on my newly made rock rails and front bumper.

The bumper and rails were RAW metal.

I prepped using everything i read.

-washed parts with simplegreen to clean/degrease.
-sanded parts lightly
-wash again with simple green using a green scotch bright pad
-rubbed down with alcohol and sprayed hard to reach parts with brake cleaner.
-hung them up, and used a tach cloth before first coat.
-Sprayed light even coats
-Sprayed about 4 good coats waited 20 min inbetween coats
-let "cure" about 20 hours before i installed them

only thing that i couldent help was that i painted them on a day that it was 55-60 deg out. This was the warmest day by far this winter and was the best sunny/warm day to do it outside. After all the coats, i took the parts in-doors to cure for the 20 hours over night into the next day.

So the stuff seems to chip pretty easy........

Did i paint them when it was to cold out and it may take longer (like days) for this stuff to cure? Or is it just this brittle.

Should i go over it with the roll-on version when i gets warmer?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious bout this myself.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

The temp. probably has a lot to do with it. Remember if the ambient high was only that temp the metal parts were likely much cooler.

This said, I have noticed it chips off of my Aluminium PSC flares somewhat easily. So much so in fact that I now first paint a coat of flat black on stuff, and top goat with the Turck Bed Liner. Since doing this I haven't noticed anything, but then again I never had an issue on the steel parts to begin with.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jnabird333
The temp. probably has a lot to do with it. Remember if the ambient high was only that temp the metal parts were likely much cooler.

Think he hit the nail on the head. Where I work we sometimes test parts for size. That has to be done around 68 degrees. That being said from cold winter to hot summer these parts get quaratined for 24 hours to make sure they are at the optimal temps. So just because it hit 55 degrees for a couple hours at noon chances are the parts never reached much higher than the low that morning.

Best thing to do for winter projacts like this is if they are small enough bring them in the house. If it is larger wait for the low temp be optimal for painting.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

So as the weather warms up should the paint cure more yielding a tougher surface?

I would hate to have to redo all the parts
Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by miraclemax
So as the weather warms up should the paint cure more yielding a tougher surface?

I would hate to have to redo all the parts
Unfortunately no, the paint failed to cure properly due to the temp and there is no undoing it. When the weather warms it will likely need to be redone. The cure is actually a chemical reaction that occurs while the thinners are drying. If it takes too long for the thinners to evaporate (to cold/damp) or it happens to fast (to hot/dry) the result is a poor finish, both in aesthetics and durability.

Sorry
Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Did you use primer? If not that may be an issue. I've bedlined many of my parts in 40 degree weather and haven't had an issue
Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did not prime.

The directions as well as people on here said primer is not needed. as well as a video about the application on rustoleums website.

I dont know if the temp has that much play in it. the coats all dried with in 5 to 10 minutes to the touch, well ahead of the 20 mins the directions said it would take.

I guess ill just wait it out and see what happens in the next week or so. At worst, ill wait till a nice spring day and scuff up the high traffic areas and use the roll on version.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've has issues with bare metal and bed liner before, no matter how much i prepped it wouldn't stick good. I used an etching primer an have never had a problem since. It makes the paint bite a lot better.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Bjl
JK Newbie

On bare metal I used self etching primer and on the plastic I used a plastic primer first and have zero issues since.

Quick Reply: Rustoleum Bed Liner HELP!