Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pulling ball joints and reusing?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling ball joints and reusing?

Hi all,

Might be a dumb question but can't seem to find an answer on this. I'm getting ready to weld on some Arctec C-gussets and was going to pull my upper ball joints so I don't cook them. Problem is that they're reasonably new and in excellent shape so I don't see the need to spend the $$ on new ones if I don't have to. Is it ok to pull them and then press them back in? It seems like everyone replaces them or throws a cold towel on them to quickly cool the weld (which I'd like to avoid because that's just going to make the weld brittle right?). Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

I pushed mine right out nice and easy cause they were relatively new. They went back in and work exactly the same. Just make sure you have the right tools! Good luck with the welding! I did the whole front end armor package came out great. Slight bend in the tubes after but so minimal won't matter! Good luck!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear.

Quick Reply: Pulling ball joints and reusing?