Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Problem matching gecko paint.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem matching gecko paint.

So ive been in a slow process of installing a pcs hood louver. Long story short, came across a free anvil colored hood, painted it and powder coated the louver. Only didnthe project for this reason, didnt feel like cutting my hood. I thought it was gonna be a cheap fun mod but when i put the hood up next to my gecko jk today i found it looked to be a faded/ more yellow "gecko." Anybody else find this problem? When trying to match gecko for any reason?
Facts:

this was painted by a guy a know who is a pro painter, he told me that there would be no problem matching gecko despite my concerns.
:/

He used oem paint

The paint was sprayed over an 14 jk anvil paint job. Thanks guys.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a pro painter.

Any painter who guarantees a color match before he actually tints his color is an amateur. Perfect matches can be impossible.

He also did not use oem paint. You can't get oem paint. Even the paint you buy from the dealer that says oem on it isn't the paint they sprayed at the factory. It's rebadged Duplicolor, or some other similar brand.

In the aftermarket we have PPG, DuPont, Sikkens, Standox, Spies Hecker, BASF, Sherwin Williams, RM, and more. PPG, DuPont and BASF supply most manufacturers with paint, but they don't supply us with the same stuff. It's an entirely different product and wouldn't look the same as we are limited to the use of HVLP or HVLP equivalent paint guns.

Back to the color match, I ask people to imagine a complex algebra equation that looks like this;

A+B+C + (X+Y+Z) = Color match

Then, I ask you to solve the equation using only 90 available variables, and you can't use the same one twice.

That's what matching a bad color is like. You have to match the hue, chroma and value on the face, then do it also when viewed at an angle, and you only have about 90 toners to draw from. The PPG color match documentation even states that achieving a perfect color match has more to do with luck than skill. I've found this to be pretty true. I've pulled off a custom match on a three stage red, something most painters would consider impossible, but couldn't even come close to matching a Maaco gold, something I thought would be easy. Sometimes the toners you need just aren't there. Usually you just don't have time, as it take about 20 minutes to do each spray out card every time you adjust a color. Adjust a color more than three times and you could have just given away blends for free.

Which brings me to blends. Your painter should have done his spray out card, made his adjustment, and stopped to call you once he didn't have a good match and recommend blending. Sounds to me like your "friend" just wanted your money. Definitely not how I do business with my friends.

Quick Reply: Problem matching gecko paint.