Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Concerned about open diff/have BLD quesiton

Old 01-31-2014, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerned about open diff/have BLD quesiton

I've been reading about BLD on here, but haven't been able to figure out if it's a standard feature or not. I'm assuming so, as there is no option to add it for a new build? With that said, I've found a 2014 JKU that I really like, but I just realized it doesn't have the "track-loc". Will it still have BLD? How is wheeling with an open diff (and hopefully BLD)? I do zero rock crawling here in Florida. It's mostly just flat trails, occasional mud hole, sugar sand or flat cap rock.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bld

All JKs have Brake Lock Diffs. it's all software driven.

you must be in 4W High to turn it 'on'.

it's pretty slick.

the problem is the name... Brake Lock Differential... the Diff doesn't do anything... it's just an open diff.

by a computer finding a spinning wheel, it assumes it's lost traction, it applies the brake to it, which sends more power to the wheel on the other side of the axle through the normal action of any open diff...

so, it brakes the wheel that's spinning the fastest. it uses wheel speed sensors and your ABS, but technically, nothing ever changes about the diff... so the name is a bit misleading.

it is not a true 'locker', however under even heavy use, 75-90% of the time... Im sure it works just as well.

If your not scaling 3' boulders on 35" tires... a manually activated locker really isn't needed.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 01-31-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

Brake lock diff certainly works in 2wd as well as other positions- I've tried it out just to see. It is fairly effective but you need to induce wheel spin to get it to apply the brakes on the side that is spinning.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
by a computer finding a spinning wheel, it assumes it's lost traction, it applies the brake to it, which sends more power to the wheel on the other side of the axle through the normal action of any open diff...

so, it brakes the wheel that's spinning the fastest. it uses wheel speed sensors and your ABS, but technically, nothing ever changes about the diff... so the name is a bit misleading.
Does this still hold true without the $295 Track-Loc LSD option?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a look at this:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...7/#post3671688
Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mangrove Mafia
Yes, I have zero options but BLD is standard for everyone. It's a part of the traction control system and integrated with the stability program.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. The trac-lok LSD is clutch based so you will have some spinning before it engages the wheel with more traction. When I got my 2012, I avoided the Trac-Loc option and installed True-Tracs front and rear when funds became available. Best decision I have made regarding the Jeep.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the answers everyone. Definitely made me more at east about not getting the LSD. Seems the BLD will suffice for the mild stuff that I'll see when I'm on the trail.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

As mentioned above, all JKs have BLD. It's not an option. It's not tied to any other option. It's all in the ABS/traction control programming.

The rear axle has it all the time. The front axle has it in both 4wd modes.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Search youtube for jeep bld. There are some cool videos showing the system in action. Impressive stuff.

Quick Reply: Concerned about open diff/have BLD quesiton