Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will I need an alignment?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I need an alignment?

Planing on installing a Duratrac 315's and a teraflex 2.5 coil and shock lift on my 13' JK. I'm also purchasing the AEV procal. Will I need an alignment? Or will the procal take care of the steering wheel centering? Should I worry about toe with the the new tires? Appreciate the help! I'm just trying to calculate how much this will all cost me.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Steering you do yourself adjusting the drag link. The procal just assist you in making it perfect.
Toe in is the only other stock adjustment. Worth checking so you don't wear out your tires. Check the forum sticky's for info.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Steering you do yourself adjusting the drag link. The procal just assist you in making it perfect.
Toe in is the only other stock adjustment. Worth checking so you don't wear out your tires. Check the forum sticky's for info.

found it! thank you!

Q: I just installed a lift on my JK. Do I need an alignment?
A: Due to the design of the new JK steering system, your toe-in will not change after installing a lift. If your lift did not come with adjustable upper or lower front control arms, you will not be able to adjust your caster angle. If you kit came with cam bolts, I would NOT recommend installing them to get your caster set as they would require you to notch out your lower control arm mounts and make them into slots (a mod that is not easily reversible). And, in my experience, it is very difficult to keep the bolts from loosening up. So, with all that said, the only thing an alignment shop will do for you is reenter your steering wheel and you can do that in your driveway with a 15mm wrench and 5 min of your time:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Now, if your lift kit did come with adjustable front upper and lower control arms, you can set your JK's caster following the instructions found towards the bottom of the same write-up.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Easy

I have that exact same setup. Very easy to do yourself. Easiest if you have a friend to help but not necessary. Just follow that link and you'll have no problems.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Excuse me for piggybacking on this thread, but today while I was messing with my sway bar disco's, I noticed that my driver side spring was actually touching the upper joint on the disco. Apparently, the driver side upper control arm needs to be shortened just a bit to level out the lower seat for the spring on my axle. (Pro comp lift, only the upper arms are adjustable).

Can I do this without having to do any realigning on anything else? I hate to have to take my Jeep to have the entire front end realigned over an inch adjustment on a single control arm...
Old 02-04-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cctroupe11
Excuse me for piggybacking on this thread, but today while I was messing with my sway bar disco's, I noticed that my driver side spring was actually touching the upper joint on the disco. Apparently, the driver side upper control arm needs to be shortened just a bit to level out the lower seat for the spring on my axle. (Pro comp lift, only the upper arms are adjustable). Can I do this without having to do any realigning on anything else? I hate to have to take my Jeep to have the entire front end realigned over an inch adjustment on a single control arm...
You would be tweaking caster angle a bit on that side. Do you have original alignment sheet?
Is your axle centered with a adjustable track bar ?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly...no idea. Front end alighnment + Chris = no bueno.

Quick Reply: Will I need an alignment?