Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tuner for Penstar

Old 02-04-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner for Penstar

Eyeballs are starting to burn reading all the reviews and opinions everywhere!

I like the bullydog gt, as im familiar with the tuner. I have a H&S tuner on my powerstroke and its basically the same unit, only the tunes are different. Read plenty of good things on the superchip flashpaq and the AEV procal....

Ok so money aside what would you go with and why. Other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

OH and i have a 14 rubicon. auto with 4.10s and 35s
Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Procal is not a tuner, so that should make your choice fairly easy.

That being said (and of course my own opinion) short of adding a turbo, tuning the Pentastar isn't going to gain you anything noticeable. They engineered the thing pretty damn good.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the aev procal is not a tuner just a programmer with no performance tuning. it works just fine for recalibrating tire size and other things. when the superchips flashpaq became available for the penstar i sold my procal and jumped all over the flashpaq and have not looked back. this is my second jk im running the flashpaq with
Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Namtaru
The Procal is not a tuner, so that should make your choice fairly easy.

That being said (and of course my own opinion) short of adding a turbo, tuning the Pentastar isn't going to gain you anything noticeable. They engineered the thing pretty damn good.
i duuno about that ive seen performance gains on both the 3.8 and 3.6 motors running the flashpaq. more low end torque and better throttle response. its not a turbo or anything but it helps
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte417
i duuno about that ive seen performance gains on both the 3.8 and 3.6 motors running the flashpaq. more low end torque and better throttle response. its not a turbo or anything but it helps
Most of the numbers I've seen thrown around are in the 20-25HP range in terms of performance increase. It just doesn't seem like enough to warrant voiding the warranty of the engine over.
Tuning a diesel on the other hand, as was suggested in the OP, is an entirely different beast.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Stupid question maybe, but if you pull the flashpaq tune back out (restoring the factory flash) before taking it in for warranty claim can they tell?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

If this is really the #s people are seeing. I think it is definatly worth it. 20-25 is a great deal for $300. Your right a tuner is not going to add to the jeep what it will to a diesel truck. My truck the tuner added 140rwhp. But for a stock gas engine 20-25 is great. Maybe I should sell my procal and go for a flashpaq.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yah didnt mean to just narrow down to tuner. I kinda used that term loosely. Programmer, tuner. etc....yah i gained 200hp from the diesel tuner in my 6.4L So i know im not going to see good numbers like that.
im not looking for the performance side as compared to what the tuners do for diesels. BUT Overall it seems like I might as well get what little performance they say i can get plus the other things the procal or superchip may offer.. Right?

One of the others commented on warranty. Cant you return the computer back to stock and then go in.

Thanks for the replies
Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Namtaru
Most of the numbers I've seen thrown around are in the 20-25HP range in terms of performance increase. It just doesn't seem like enough to warrant voiding the warranty of the engine over.
Tuning a diesel on the other hand, as was suggested in the OP, is an entirely different beast.
No worries about voiding the warranty if you simply return your settings back to stock. They would never be able to tell. If that wasnt the case there wouldnt be thousands of people running tuners. Also that bit of horsepwer is worth it when you take into account the other things the flashpaq does. Basically everything a procal can plus the performance tunes so your basicaly paying $150ish more for the performance tunes ($150 for a procal Minus $300ish for a flashpaq). Hell ide pay $300 alone just for the crawl tune and 87 tune lol
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

They most certainly can tell if you used a tuner on your vehicle and remove it. It leaves a ghost image. All manufacturers have done this since the 6.0 powerstroke problems. The chance of a tuner actually doing something is low but you better believe if you go in with a engine prob their going to ask you about that tune.

Quick Reply: Tuner for Penstar