Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Headlights suck. Options that wont break the bank?

Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights suck. Options that wont break the bank?

I drive nights to/from work on unlit highways. Often in rain, snow.

ANd after a few months of owning a 2010 JK I realized that the headlights dont give much light. The fog lights dont help much either.

What are my options that wonr break the bank?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try a set of Sylvania zxe bulbs, they made quite a bit of difference for me. Else, you'd be looking at either an hid or led upgrade.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go HID.

Pros-
-don't have to replace the housing
-you can pick the color temperature
-comes with ballast
-comes with resistor (eliminates flickering)
-compared to LED, Bi Xeon, projectors, HIDs are a fraction of the price
-plug and play
-makes the vehicle look very sharp
-the fogs can also be converted to HID
-significantly brighter (no need for hi beam) even though it comes with another bulb attached as a halogen hi beam (never used)

Cons-
-do NOT touch the bulb when installing because the oil on your hand can make the bulb blow

-when buying HIDs buy from a reputable company that comes with a warranty

Every vehicle I've owned I've has HIDs I love them they are every cheap and if you know how to change your headlight in you're jeep installation should take no more than 15 minutes. I bought mine from HIDwarehouse.com the company's customer service is decent but product really is a well made product, with all the upgrades it's came our to like $85. The upgrades included digital slim ballast, resistors, and a three year warranty. There is an option to get capacitors so you can get power straight from the battery but this is not needed and the compactors get EXTREMELY hot and will burn through anything non durable so they have to be mounted on metal and suggested to mount on chassis BUT like I said this is not needed. I have 8000k color temp it's a very white with a strong tint of blue but the less (k) you go the whiter the color appears, all up to you!

Hope this helps if you have any questions pm me or if you want to see pictures I'll put it up
Old 02-07-2014, 03:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm happy with the LifetimeLed ones for $150. Big improvement over stock. Highbeams are not stronger than the lows but honestly, the lows are so strong not sure you would need them.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I like the IPF headlights from Northridge. I opted for a $20 pair of Sylvania halogen bulbs. If you're not into space-age looking lights on your Jeep, these are very traditional looking and put out a very good beam pattern. Price will be under $100 for a pair, including cheap bulbs.

http://northridge4x4.com/shop/ipf-je...-pair-920hjktj

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-07-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

IPFs ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140207_063339.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	529303
Old 02-07-2014, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I'm happy with the LifetimeLed ones for $150. Big improvement over stock. Highbeams are not stronger than the lows but honestly, the lows are so strong not sure you would need them.
I was gunna get the lifetime LEDs since all my light bars on my rig are from lifetime LED. But for down reason the fan in back of the bulb freaks me out. I know they made a video of it in water but I was scared maybe rocks dirt or mud would get into the light. And plus they get extremely hot. Also the beams are not centered much like the trucklights.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look at the truck lites they now have a heated lens a vendor on here had those ones
Old 02-07-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaron142
I was gunna get the lifetime LEDs since all my light bars on my rig are from lifetime LED. But for down reason the fan in back of the bulb freaks me out. I know they made a video of it in water but I was scared maybe rocks dirt or mud would get into the light. And plus they get extremely hot. Also the beams are not centered much like the trucklights.
All true. But the output is amazing.Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Headlights 009 (Small) (2).jpg
Views:	472
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	529304
Old 02-07-2014, 03:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtymoney
I drive nights to/from work on unlit highways. Often in rain, snow. ANd after a few months of owning a 2010 JK I realized that the headlights dont give much light. The fog lights dont help much either. What are my options that wonr break the bank?
1) are they aimed properly? ( not that the stock setup is great even when they are)
2) are the bulbs stock? Probably dying. If they were changed out, likely not aimed properly.
3) don't bother trying to put anything but halogen bulbs in a halogen housing. It isn't safe or legal or even better lighting regardless of what anyone says.

There are plenty of ways to upgrade to excellent lighting that is safe and legal. None are cheap some are quite expensive.

New lenses (cibie, hella) with H4 bulbs (convert H13to H4 with a harness or pigtail)
Several LED choices or proper HID retrofits (including projectors).

There is a ton of BS, marketing hype, and plain wrong information out there. Do some research.
Google or search forums for headlight shootouts (Hilldweller's is huge).
Look up Daniel stern lighting, rallylights.com, and candlepower forum for starts.

Phillips makes great bulbs, aimed properly they're the only inexpensive improvement. After that, new DOT/ECE lenses, H4 etc. and you're into the $2-300 range. If budget allows, there are other options (trucklites, jw speaker) each with pros and cons.
Apparently, the gold standard today are Hella Bi-xenon 90mm set ups but the price is pretty high...

Quick Reply: Headlights suck. Options that wont break the bank?