Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spring upgrade for JKU that runs light weight and heavy at times

Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring upgrade for JKU that runs light weight and heavy at times

Ok, yes I am new but I have been reading & reading & reading. I have read dirtman's manifestos among others so I have educated myself on the componets, and the geometery.

I am not looking on advise a lift kit or brand or kit...I would like either my idea validated or a more optimal solution

2014 JKU Sport.
-big heavy bumpers not planned at this time plane (plan to diy a "channel" front with winch as time permits)
-35x12 KM2 on MT classics as spare
-no heavy wheeling, just light weekend fun planned (if this changes as time goes on, i'll revisit...I just dont have the time to dedicate to hard core right now)
-i don't want more than 2.5" (at least not much more - dont want 3.5") to avoid all the realted mess
-i will be running topless & door less much of the summer (so even less weight - the reason I dont want a light that is too high or to stiff)
-but here's the kicker - in winter, with HT & doors on, I plan to hang a 152 QT ice chest & 5 gal gas can (for ATVs) on a rec rack out back and all mine & wife's other hunting gear in the cargo area which sometimes includes another loaded 70 qt ice chest on top of cases of shotgun shells & several long guns.
- also want to be able to tow ATVs in winter (not all time..just when need be...they generally stay at lease)

So the Jeep is going from extremely light to heavy load in rear. It will be a dd.

I explored some multi rated springs. MC seem to be for light loads and max flex. AEV seem to be for full loaded which I will not be most of the time. The only thing I keep coming back to is a TF BB for now...maybe hunt for some1s take off 18 or 19 frts & 60s rears.. & then upgrade to aftermarket springs as I add more permanent weight...which is undecided. (I am a fabricator so I want to try my hadn @ building some stuff..as time permits)

So at the moment I am thinking TF 2.5" BB + getting the rr TRK bar raise bracket (instead of the lower) + either the AEV frt lca correction brakets or adj lca (with the goal to upgrade all over time)

Any1 have a better spring option for this scenario or will most any (ex TF 2.5 coils) be just as good upgrade as the next. Basically it has to be $ worth it for the extra $ for the springs
Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run the rock krawler linear rate hd springs and I really like them they aren't too rough on road (paired with 5100s) and I get plenty of flex off road.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

did some more research...thinking about the Synergy springs (maybe even the 2"-3" (2" on a 4 dr)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

I have a mixed setup. Rubicon shocks, Old Man Emu springs front and rear, and AEV drop brackets in the front.

I love this setup. It is my DD and go off roading. When I had the Rubicon springs, it was definitely harder on the bumps than the OME springs.

With OME springs, you choose what kind of Wrangler, 2 or 4 door, hardtop or soft top, AND bumper/load combinations so you can personalize to a point, what you want. No other manufacture does that.

I do have another Jeeping buddy that has the AEV 2.5" kit and he says it is stiffer than mine. He even said that the spring may have gotten softer or broken in. Still not a bad set up.

The OME will get you 2.25-2.5" depending on your choice of springs. How much of a lift will be determined on what your Jeep has on it. Winch, bumper, tow, etc.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry what I posted here was meant for another thread

thanks for the ideas

Last edited by shearpinn; 02-07-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

look for a progressive rate coil. I've read good reviews about AEV's coils.

Quick Reply: Spring upgrade for JKU that runs light weight and heavy at times