Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Am I wasting $ if...

Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I wasting $ if...

if I do a BB to get height and then spend $ on:
-a better axle side rear TRK Bar bracket
- adj FRT LCA (vs AEV geo correction BRKT)
- Adj frt track bar

I want a jeep that feels good and drives good...I want to correct the things that need corecting...but dont want to throw $ for the sake of throwing it.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you want it to "drive good" and "feel good" then spend the extra few hundred on some quality springs... besides springs and shocks you should get lower control arms and a front track bar. I'd say 2.5" lift and less, you don't "Need" the rear track bar bracket. If you take it offroad any time soon I'd also recommend some new brake lines and Sway Bar disconnects...

The ride is all about the coils... my vote goes to MetalCloak. Everyone has an opinion on what brand they like best though... Just make sure you have (at a minimum) the above listed items.

Buying quality in my opinion isn't throwing money away... I've tried the budget boosts and cheap lifts in the past and that is money thrown away...
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

I dont kno that I look at the BB as quite the waste as you are implying. It comes with bumpstops and other things that are necessary, that when sourced as indiviudual items, add up far beyond the price of the kit. Then when you factor in I have no real clue about how the load on the jeep with be from day to day, spending $ on a spring that I don't know if its suited could turn out to be a waste if I have to buy different 1s next year. plus if I do upgrade springs, someone will want the spacers to offset it a little.

Then I can take my cash now and put it towards geometery correction (the stock springs cannot be that bad...dont have yet, its on order).

And I am doing good shocks...I was just looking for ideas. The OME might be the answer in time. I guess I think I am going to do exactly like I originally thought and put a years worth of tasking on it (to run the spectrum) and solicit advice again.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would recommend a raised rear track bar bracket, it will add to stability and reduce body roll and brake dive. If you are running a 10" or less travel shock new coils are really not going to help you much and a budget boost will be fine. At2" of lift lower control arms are not going to gain you very much and are not really needed.
I would encourage you to read the link in my signature at the bottom of this post to familiarize yourself with your suspension.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Oh I have read it. Several times, over and over. Its what has caused me to even think about geometrey correction. Before, I would have just did the BB or 2.5" coils (TF kit for ex). But now I am probably over thinking it but am thinking about the important geometry componets

If its a waste, then I wont do it. But if it improves ride & drive, the extra few $100s is not that big a deal to get it "right"
Old 02-07-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

At 2" of height geometry correction is pretty minimal, when you get to 3" and 4" things start to get pretty out of whack.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran the TF 2.5" BB and 35" tires for almost 2 years and it rode fantastic. Stock Rubi springs, Bilstein 5100's ( but stock rubi's with shock extensions are really good). Raised rear axle side TB bracket preferred over the frame drop bracket with the kit. Best thing I did for the handling was add AEV geometry correction brackets. Had a very solid stock feel to it. I was also running 35" Toyo MT's on 17x9 wheels with 4.5" bs.

I am now on 37's and 3" springs and it's a whole new ball game....it's taken a lot of work to get the steering back to a solid feel again but it come with the territory!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
Best thing I did for the handling was add AEV geometry correction brackets.

I am now on 37's and 3" springs and it's a whole new ball game....it's taken a lot of work to get the steering back to a solid feel again but it come with the territory!
This is kinda the point I am tying to get...beginning with 35"s and thinking of 37"s in the future with 3" lift and flat fenders...would my $ be better on front lca now vs spending the $ on geometry correction brackets then having to take them back off and sell (cause I assume the lcas help & would be needed for the bigger lift)...yes its like close to $200 difference but in the long run..and these are $ pits anyway (just like a Harley)

Plus I am concerned about the amount of lift...every1 says a TF 2.5 coil gets closer to 3"...& at 3" more things need corrected. Well is that 3" gained with doors & HT & bumpers? How much is it with minimum bumper weight, no doors no HT? Have I tripped into 3"+?

I think I will start with TF 2.5" BB (hope I can find 18 or 19 stock fronts before the install), the raised axle side rear TB bracket, Rancho adj 9000 shocks (longest 1s I can mathematically run cause I plan to install limiting straps @ least on the frt drivers corner) and see from there after some usage.

then do something with frt lcas and frt TB as I see necessary

then consider coils after a year & 4 seasons of use (the full range) or if satisfied, wait till a decision on gears & 37s
Old 02-09-2014, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it around for a week when you get it.... I am guessing the ride quality will be more than sufficient for you.

The BB will keep a similar ride for the most part.... same springs, same shocks.

Under three and I say you are wasting money, etc on anything but a BB. For many JK owners, this is more lift than they need for the type of wheeling they do.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

I had a 1.75 inch budget boost on my jeep for a while, then decided to go with the teraflex 2.5 spring lift which includes front and rear bump stops, front sway bar links, rear brake line brackets, and the rear track bar bracket. Pulled all that off this weekend and put on a 4" lift.

I have the teraflex lift for sale if interested. You would need new shocks or shock extensions. The kit only has about 2,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Am I wasting $ if...