Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bad battery?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad battery?

We just encountered a bit of a cold snap. When it was above freezing during a cold start it would start find. We just had a few days of -5 to -10 celsius. Jeep seemed to crank over slowly but still managed to fire on the first try. Battery crapping out? Jeep runs good otherwise. Its about 3 years old.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Could be a bad battery. A lot of the OEM batteries have died at about 3 years.

Could be a marginal battery with marginal ground points, and/or dirty positive and negative terminals.

I would clean all the connections. That means removing them, and making the contact surfaces clean and shiny.

Also, while disconnected, connect a charger to it that has at least 3 automatic charging modes: 1- Bulk charge to replenish it. 2- Absorption charge to equalize the cells and knock off some of the sulfate crystals. 3- Finish charge to top it off and maintain it until you put it back in the Jeep.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-07-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added a word. Guess which one and you get a thumbs up.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Connections are clean. Had them both off about 2 weeks ago to reset my evap code.

I dont have a fancy charger like that, just a trickle charger. Might just go ahead and do a red/yellow top.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by courtsm3
Connections are clean. Had them both off about 2 weeks ago to reset my evap code.

I dont have a fancy charger like that, just a trickle charger. Might just go ahead and do a red/yellow top.
There's more than the two connections on the battery that people have problems with.
There's the positive connection in the TIPM; all the grounds on the fender, among other places.

A charger that will have the 3 modes is no longer a fancy charger.
Most new ones will do it, and are not too expensive. You just have to read the specs to make sure it's one of the good chargers. It will be a lot cheaper than a new battery if you don't need one yet, and you can use it to extend the life of your other batteries, new and old, providing they are not too far gone to save.

Quick Reply: Bad battery?