Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Did shimmy/ DW return?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did shimmy/ DW return?

I had a shimmy two years ago. A balance solved it. Or so I thought. Truth be told, there might have been other components that were bad that I did not know about and slowly worsened. I had no issues though. Recently, happened again. Went through planmans checklist.

I need to replace trackbar, steering box at minimum.

I probably didn't completely solve it the first time and I don't drive often. 5-6k a year.

Have any of you solved your shimmy and had it return years later or have most of you replaced the parts necessary to fix it and never had a reoccurrence?
I am trying to decide if I should sell it once its fixed. Again.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you replaced the LCA bolts with the proper size ones?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats on the to do list once I find a new steering box and start actually replacing parts. I am not driving it right now.

I am not going to stop until its 100% gone because if I sold it, I don't want to pass any problems on so I will replace what is necessary.

I guess I am trying to determine if most people in general, have had it return or if its fixed properly, does it come back again.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a question I also have been wondering. My current dilemma, i go to the dealership for my drive train inspection and a few other covered repairs and coolant flush. I ask them to check/inspect front end components to try and intercept future DW. Since I wasn't expecting it the first time, I'm trying to prevent it from EVER happening again. The conversation went like this. Me. Please inspect front end components. Dealer. why are you having DW? Me. Not now but want to prevent future possibilities. Dealer. Are you having problems now? Me. No, but I'm told to have it checked to prevent future issues. Dealer. Are you having problems now? What am I missing here?
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Whenever I get a chance I strongly suggest that all forum members that have had DW send a complaint via the NHTSA web site. Read the list of recommended items to check that was sent to all service dealers, check them yourself using Planman's video AND checklist. Then be sure the dealership replaces any questionable part(s) in the front suspension, get an alignment and you should be (may be) good to go. The pdf document in the next thread.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

See http://dig.abclocal.go.com/kgo/PDF/T...E-ADVISORY.pdf
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default beat the dead horse or

fix it yourself is what it comes down to chrysler wont fix it for you its cheap parts
Old 02-09-2014, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Evidently you haven't experienced full death wobble. I realize it may be a "dead horse" but if we all felt that way, nothing would get fixed and manufacturers will continue to get away with murder. Make cheap inferior parts, let the consumer bear the cost and burden of repair, AND pay a premium for the vehicle. A vehicle company, by the way that we and you the taxpayers bailed out. I love my JK.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ahhh yes i had full dw

however putting bandaids on the issue as the dealers have to do, and if you search out chryslers reaction to blame its a solid axle youl know what i mean , they dont seem to want to change bolts from 14mm to a 9/16s to fit the hole size in thier equipment . which wears out your parts that were already cheesy to begin with such as the track bar that tends to flex under load , ball joints that wear prematurly and several other components that most find the need to be replaced to rectify the issues (not that i dont agree the dealers shouldnt fix it , its that they wont go to the root of the issue . perhaps you havent had full death wobble and know that your effort to make the dealer fix it isnt working

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...eam&id=8547340

thats the reasoning for my prior post!

and preventing it from happening in the future isnt realy reasonable to ask your dealer to check unless you have the symptom , it would be like asking them to predict your future of your tires ballance . its not a problem till its a problem . that would be up to you to maintain on your dime . depending on your driving habits. the dealer isnt a free health care clinic doing free preventive care on thier dime to be honest ! (thats not warranty work ) i understand your wanting id also like apple pie with my steak but sometimes you have to pay for that !

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
It's a question I also have been wondering. My current dilemma, i go to the dealership for my drive train inspection and a few other covered repairs and coolant flush. I ask them to check/inspect front end components to try and intercept future DW. Since I wasn't expecting it the first time, I'm trying to prevent it from EVER happening again. The conversation went like this. Me. Please inspect front end components. Dealer. why are you having DW? Me. Not now but want to prevent future possibilities. Dealer. Are you having problems now? Me. No, but I'm told to have it checked to prevent future issues. Dealer. Are you having problems now? What am I missing here?

this one below is kinda funny ! Because i think thats exactly what you bought when you bought your vehicle , otherwise you wouldnt have experianced the d. wobble ! knowing this you love your jeep ! call it a dead dog that you love , it will need aftermarket parts to clear the problem even just 9/16 bolt kits / dealer wont fix that for you ! chrysler wont fix that for you . ( better invest in a torque wrench . ...)

[QUOTE=Mike Davis;3832850]Evidently you haven't experienced full death wobble. I realize it may be a "dead horse" but if we all felt that way, nothing would get fixed and manufacturers will continue to get away with murder. Make cheap inferior parts, let the consumer bear the cost and burden of repair, AND pay a premium for the vehicle. A vehicle company, by the way that we and you the taxpayers bailed out. I love my JK.[/QUOTE

worth noting * a noble man once said ~ https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-09-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Great reply. Good discussion. You are right on, unfortunately.

I did replace the 14mm with 9/16, i get an alignment 2-3 times a year, just got new tires, i worked with the dealer when they said "steering stabilizer" they liked my beefy Rancho, but replaced it with puny stock when I still had the problem. They finally replaced the drag link after they said the side to side play and clunk were "normal". At my 5 year drive line inspection, they found ball joints and a U joint bad. With my extended warranty, it was covered with a $100 deductible and a free rental car. I'd love to go after market for all the weak parts, track bar, greaseable ball joints, etc etc. it all adds up and I'm no mechanic. This is the downside of the warranty work, you must use OEM or they won't help at all. I don't expect a free inspection of any components, I do expect them to know what to look for and let me know when it's worn out. Another double edged sword if it's an extended warranty item. I wonder if I bought Synergys and mine were defective, if they would install them for me. I kinda doubt it.
Where in NH are you?

Quick Reply: Did shimmy/ DW return?