Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone else have a 6 speed that has or had a hard time shifting into first?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have a 6 speed that has or had a hard time shifting into first?

Hello all! First time Jeep owner and loving it for the most part but I have a very annoying problem that could even be serious under the right conditions. I just bought a 2011 JK 2door with 6speed and there are times where I just have to keep fighting it to go into first gear. Its a smooth as butter at times like all the other gears, reverse being the only other exception but I kinda don't mind that so much. I cant always reproduce the situation but most often its while already moving. It has been unusually cold in Texas this year so but im not ready to blame that solely. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had that issue on my '01 Ranger. Turned out to be an issue with the clutch slave cylinder. I'm not too savvy on the workings of the '11 tranny, but normally slave cylinders are pretty easy to replace. Does it make a harsh whining sound when you try to shift into first, or is it simply like it is blocked? Could be a sychro issue?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response! Its more like it is just blocked, no noises that I am noticing.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 08 6sp and don't have a problem shifting into first. But second is a little hard at times. These 6 speed manual transmissions they have in the JKs are junk. My 2 cents
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

That is a good sign. Whatever you do, try not to force it into gear. If you place it into second or reverse gear first and roll forwards/backwards a bit does it then go into first easier?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Mine can be a little tough sometimes as well, I've gotten in the habit of always quickly shifting into 2nd then up into 1st, and then it always goes in smoothly. Perhaps something with the 1st synchro not wanting to lineup correctly? Not sure, just know this is what has worked for me
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteelBlueOffroading
I have a 08 6sp and don't have a problem shifting into first. But second is a little hard at times. These 6 speed manual transmissions they have in the JKs are junk. My 2 cents
THIS, i have a 2011 JKU 6spd, ~40,000. 2nd gear is shall i say 'shifty' when trying to engage it. not the cleanest as when i first got the Jeep 3 years ago. feels like it sticks half way through when fully engaging 2nd gear. funny this thread posted up, was going to start searching issues soon.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kbp810
Mine can be a little tough sometimes as well, I've gotten in the habit of always quickly shifting into 2nd then up into 1st, and then it always goes in smoothly. Perhaps something with the 1st synchro not wanting to lineup correctly? Not sure, just know this is what has worked for me
Exactly what I was getting at. Sounds like the synchro is having a hard time lining up @ first gear. Could be a weak pressure plate, bad throwout bearing (common issue with the JK 6-speed), or broken clutch slave cylinder. None of these are too expensive, but the trick of going from second up to first right away has always worked for me. I've been driving my Ford for 4 years like this and it hasn't gotten any worse.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2013 JK and mine has always disliked going into first if I'm moving. Seems like it is over 5mph. I assumed it was due to the low first gear. No big deal.

Pretty sure that somewhere in the owners manual it states "if you can't find them, grind them"!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Don't try and shift into first if going over 5mph, it doesn't let you go in for a reason, on the other hand shifting from 1st to 2nd when cold feels like I'm driving a Model T, but I think it states that in the Jeeps Manuel as well lol.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a 6 speed that has or had a hard time shifting into first?