Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Seat Cracking

Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Cracking

I have myself a 2011 Mojave edition. The seat cover was replaced under warranty last February under warranty. It's the brown vinyleather. It has cracked again. I'm out of the 3/36000 warranty and the 12mo/12000 part warranty.
Before the cover cracked the first time, I used the meguires leather vinyl treatment. About every five weeks.
After the replacement, I used the mopar vinyl leather treatment every four weeks.
Before I pay $500 to have it replaced, I am looking for suggestions to keep it from happening again....
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pics would be helpful. Is it possible that you're being really hard on this area of the seat when entering/exiting the vehicle? If you can find a way to put less wear on the seat, it might help these areas last longer (assuming this is contributing to the issue).

Cheap vinyl/leather cracks, especially if it sees a lot of sun.

It may be time for seat covers, my friend. That way you can ignore it.

My only other suggestion is to take it to an upholsterer - automotive or boat shop. They should do a decent job of matching the material and texture and can replace just that section, probably for cheaper than buying a whole new leather seat cover from Chrysler.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like the leather quality from chrysler is pretty low. I think I'm happy I got the cloth in my rubicon, but with only about 3500 miles on my rig the leather steering wheel is already showing signes of wear...
Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
I feel like the leather quality from chrysler is pretty low. I think I'm happy I got the cloth in my rubicon, but with only about 3500 miles on my rig the leather steering wheel is already showing signes of wear...
I'm pretty sure they use vinyl for most of the seat and leather only in certain small areas. It's definitely low quality, no question about that.

My freedom edition vinyl/cloth seats already have numerous wrinkles/wear marks and my jeep is less than a year old. Next time around I'm doing 100% cloth.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Mojave with cracked leather seats

Hi,

My leather seats also cracked, and were replaced under warranty. Again same as OP a Mojave edition jeep.
So far no new cracks!

Quick Reply: Seat Cracking