Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Airbag Rattle Fixed! 2012

Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag Rattle Fixed! 2012

So my 2012 JK developed a metallic rattle sound going over bumps on the highway.

My dealer tried for an hour to locate the issue, even though I stated it was IN the steering wheel, they kept looking at my lift kit...

But, I'm not going to dwell on that, they were doing the best they could by their standards / practices.

So, after removing everything but the Jeep key, from my key-chain to make sure I wasn't hearing things, I did some searching on Google. Found another person had this issue, and it was the airbag.

Gently put my finger between the base of the airbag (big plastic round thing, center of wheel) and the steering wheel... Noticed that the airbag assembly was vibrating, a lot... seemed unusual that the airbag would not be securely attached to the steering wheel, but hey; it is Chrysler after all...

So, I removed the NEGATIVE from the battery for 10 min. (10mm bolt).

Removed the airbag by means of 1/4" ratchet, 6" extension and a 10mm socket.

There is a bolt on each side of the airbag. Removed the 3 connectors to the air bag.
1. trigger
2. sensor?
3. horn

on the back of the airbag assembly was a small piece of foam which is meant to contact a metal protrusion at the bottom of the wheel assembly.

The foam moved. (24,000 miles on jeep, not much off road yet).

I removed the factory .5" x 0.25" foam and replaced it with a 2" x .5" piece of weather stripping.

I then carefully reconnected all connectors.

I placed the airbag back in the wheel, and threaded in the 2 bolts 'finger tight'.

i then used my one hand to push the airbag back into the assembly, while i tightened one of the bolts.

rotated the wheel 180 degrees, did the same.

rotated back, snugged up both sides.

reconnected battery

No error lights, horn works.

NO RATTLES.

I do believe Jeep should secure the airbag with a simple THIRD bolt at the bottom of the wheel. The structure is there, the metal is there. and it would eliminate any chance of rattle...

it appears that after X miles the bolts loosen as they create a 'axis' for the airbag to rock on, this dislodges the foam strip, and you get metal to metal contact from the vibration...

I don't believe Jeep needs a recall, but maybe lock these bolts down tighter? use larger foam? use 3 bolts? use lock-tite?
The following users liked this post:
sunflower (06-04-2021)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to check this out. I've recently started to hear a rattle and was worried it was related to the TF lift I installed a couple weekends ago. Yesterday I checked torque on all the bolts that were touched during that installation and they were all to spec. The rattle to me sounds like its coming from the front but I couldn't figure it out. Its not horrible and I usually only notice it when I've got the radio off but I'd prefer to be rattle free.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default write up

I'm glad someone could use it.

it does feel like something Jeep should address. Vibration over time will loosen the two bolts and could cause the airbag to come off the wheel (extreme case).
The following users liked this post:
sunflower (06-04-2021)
Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toothy

JWN Gave this thread Attachment 534017's

Last edited by JeepWranglerNation; 02-28-2014 at 04:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Airbag Rattle Fixed! 2012