Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Odd noise when accelerating after shifting into gear.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd noise when accelerating after shifting into gear.

Gents, I could use some help on this one. When I shift into 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th gear I get a quick but noticeable squeaking sound as soon as the clutch engages. I also sometimes get the same noise when I slow down (in the same gear still) and apply a quick amount of gas. So far I have removed my front drive shaft to trouble shoot the u-joints on my drive shaft, however, the sound still remains. Could it potentially be the fan belt slipping when I accelerate or something wrong with the clutch disk? It's a 2011 2 door manual. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockkrawlin4x4
Gents, I could use some help on this one. When I shift into 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th gear I get a quick but noticeable squeaking sound as soon as the clutch engages. I also sometimes get the same noise when I slow down (in the same gear still) and apply a quick amount of gas. So far I have removed my front drive shaft to trouble shoot the u-joints on my drive shaft, however, the sound still remains. Could it potentially be the fan belt slipping when I accelerate or something wrong with the clutch disk? It's a 2011 2 door manual. Thanks.
Front shaft is less likely since it isn't under power, just rotating. You'd have been better to put it in 4 wheel and remove the rear shaft. Have you checked and changed all your fluids? We can guess many things, but helps to eliminate the easy to check stuff.

Did you add a super charger + nitrous recently?? Maybe you're chirping the tires all the way through 4th!!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly a coincidence, but there is a new post on one of the other forums regarding a recall for 2011-2013 manual trans Jks. The issue is a squeaking when the clutch is let out and engaging. How timely!

Quick Reply: Odd noise when accelerating after shifting into gear.