Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I think my dealer is F@&:$ing me

Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my dealer is F@&:$ing me

So I just bought my jeep brand new in October. When I bought it, it came with 2 years of free scheduled maintenance. I currently have about 4500 miles on it. I took it to the dealer at 3000 miles and they said it's not ready for an oil change. They said come back when the light comes on? And that it should come on around 8000 miles!? It's a brand new vehicle so I figured you'd change the fluids after like 1500 miles. And then go every 3000 miles. Before I go and blow my top I want to make sure I have all the right info. Thanks in advanced.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Your dealer is somewhat correct. I know 2010 according to my manual says to change the oil every 7500. I wouldn't do my first change at 1500 because from the factory the oil is very heavy with zinc to improve the break in. I have yet to change my transfer case and I'm around 40k, probably should do that. The gear oil I would do around 5k the first time to get all the casting shavings out.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's how it works. The dealer isn't going to give more freebies than needed. The manufacturer determined the frequency and your Jeep will tell you when it's time.

That said, most of us wouldn't run 8000+ miles before the first change. So, your options are pay to change it or wait it out.

It's a huge contrast to the days when dealers were telling you it needs to be changed every 3k when the manufacturer said 5k. Now that it's included, less is more!

I hope they're servicing the car before that though. You need the tires rotated well before 8k.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is an indicator light that will light when your oil needs changing, or so they say. The manufacturers say these newer engines can go a lot longer between oil changes but I say B.S. I don't think they will change your oil until the light comes on so I do not think you have any recourse. The computer tells the light to come on based on "duty cycle" meaning how the Jeep is driven. Lots of city stop and go I think will light the light sooner then a lot of highway driving.

I personally change the oil on a new engine at 500 miles then every 5000 using full synthetic and ignore the light.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by baltimorejk13
So I just bought my jeep brand new in October. When I bought it, it came with 2 years of free scheduled maintenance. I currently have about 4500 miles on it. I took it to the dealer at 3000 miles and they said it's not ready for an oil change. They said come back when the light comes on? And that it should come on around 8000 miles!? It's a brand new vehicle so I figured you'd change the fluids after like 1500 miles. And then go every 3000 miles. Before I go and blow my top I want to make sure I have all the right info. Thanks in advanced.
Your manual states 8000 between oil changes. I actually started out changing every 3000 per recommendation of my dealer. I feel was overkill. I use synthetic blend and change every 5000 myself. I think if they were recommending you change out every 3000 like mine did then they would be ****ing you.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The days of changing your oil every 3000 miles or 3 months are long since over. Modern oils don't shear and break down like older oils, and this is especially true with modern synthetics. Follow the manufacturer recommendations (they're the ones who designed the engines and have to cover the warranty, after all) and don't stress about it.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by catahoula
Your manual states 8000 between oil changes. I actually started out changing every 3000 per recommendation of my dealer. I feel was overkill. I use synthetic blend and change every 5000 myself. I think if they were recommending you change out every 3000 like mine did then they would be ****ing you.
The manual doesn't really say change it at 8000. That number is given as a maximum. Many on here change theirs at 5k intervals. Seems a reasonable interval that has benefit of being very easy to remember. That's what I do. I now have 41,000 trouble free miles on my 2012.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7kings
The days of changing your oil every 3000 miles or 3 months are long since over. Modern oils don't shear and break down like older oils, and this is especially true with modern synthetics. Follow the manufacturer recommendations (they're the ones who designed the engines and have to cover the warranty, after all) and don't stress about it.

^ this.

But I'll add that for some people, depending on their specific use, a 3,000 mile OCI is entirely appropriate. For others, 5,000, or 10,000 or more may be appropriate.

Miles and time are poor indicators of remaining oil life. Today's oils are amazingly good. Following the oil life monitor without exceeding the warranty-required maximum interval is more than sufficient. Especially if you use a high end conventional oil (like Pennzoil yellow bottle), even more so if you use a synthetic like M1 or PP.

Keeping the oil in the engine is more important than which (appropriate) oil you use so check the dipstick often.

Someone posted that the factory fill is special. It isn't.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

5k is the number. My dealer is giving me 4 free oil changes. They want me in every 3k miles...don't think so.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
That's how it works. The dealer isn't going to give more freebies than needed. The manufacturer determined the frequency and your Jeep will tell you when it's time. That said, most of us wouldn't run 8000+ miles before the first change. So, your options are pay to change it or wait it out. It's a huge contrast to the days when dealers were telling you it needs to be changed every 3k when the manufacturer said 5k. Now that it's included, less is more! I hope they're servicing the car before that though. You need the tires rotated well before 8k.
I can't pay to get it done because then it voids everything. I got it from Tate dodge and jeep in glen burnie MD

Quick Reply: I think my dealer is F@&:$ing me