Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

4wd does not disengage right away

Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd does not disengage right away

I'm having an issue with my jeep jk 2007 when I shift the t case into 4 hi it engages into 4 hi but when I try to slap it back in 2 hi it stays in 4 hi, I drive off with it in a straight line and eventually I hear a pop in the front end it it disengages from 4 hi it's never done this before it has always engaged and disengaged seamlessly, any ideas?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know it's not needed but it insures the hubs get unlocked... I shift out of 4x4 then roll to a stop, put it in reverse and and drive back about 20 feet then your good to go!

Like I said I don't know if many people do it now and days but when I had my old xj it was the only way for it to get completely disengaged , the habit kind of stuck.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

The hubs don't unlock on the JK.

If the lever is fully in 2hi, and it stays in 4hi until you hear it pop out, the cable may need adjusting. It may not be putting the lever on the t-case all the way into 2hi.

Look at the bushing on each end of the t-case cable, too. If one is broken, there may be too much slop at the connection. Usually when the bushing breaks the cable end drops off the lever and the control in the cab flops back and forth. Yours may not have dropped all the way off yet.

Another thing to look at is the anchor points for the cable casing. If one of those breaks, it will reduce the cable travel at the t-case.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by madmike232
I know it's not needed but it insures the hubs get unlocked... I shift out of 4x4 then roll to a stop, put it in reverse and and drive back about 20 feet then your good to go!

Like I said I don't know if many people do it now and days but when I had my old xj it was the only way for it to get completely disengaged , the habit kind of stuck.
I'm used to doing the same thing, not sure if its necessary but its just second nature now.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Alright so I checked my jeep this morning it appears my tires have way different psis my front right has 25 front left has 31, rear right had 16 rear left had 27..... Put everything back to 31 psi and it doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Uneven tire psi probably was causing the tires to doing at different rpms. One question tho, do you think any damage was done by the popping noise when it would disengage from 4hi to 2hi? Is that driveline binding?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Panzo
Alright so I checked my jeep this morning it appears my tires have way different psis my front right has 25 front left has 31, rear right had 16 rear left had 27..... Put everything back to 31 psi and it doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Uneven tire psi probably was causing the tires to doing at different rpms. One question tho, do you think any damage was done by the popping noise when it would disengage from 4hi to 2hi? Is that driveline binding?
When my driveline is bound, as it would be with different psi in the tires, the lever won't move into the slot I am trying for.
Don't assume the psi was the only issue until you look at the cable bushings and anchors.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bronc
I'm used to doing the same thing, not sure if its necessary but its just second nature now.
Yea I haven't had any real issues but my dad toll me to do it when I got my first 4x4 and I guess some things just stick lol
Old 03-02-2014, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
When my driveline is bound, as it would be with different psi in the tires, the lever won't move into the slot I am trying for.
Don't assume the psi was the only issue until you look at the cable bushings and anchors.
How can I check that do I need to take the t case apart?
Old 03-02-2014, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Panzo
How can I check that do I need to take the t case apart?
Have someone in the cab wiggle the lever forward and backward while you look at the cable underneath.
Look for some movement of the cable case in the bracket it's anchored to. There shouldn't be any.
Then look at the cable end where it connects to the lever on the t-case. Any slop there is not good.

Then, lift the console in the cab enough to look for the same things there.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-02-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I will look as soon as it gets warmer it's winter here in canada, can't get under the truck yet, any chance that popping would of damaged anything? Very likely unlikely? It was while on pavement.?

Quick Reply: 4wd does not disengage right away