Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mopar Star Hood decal install

Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar Star Hood decal install

I really like the freedom edition hood decal so I bought one to install on my Rubicon. I'm not really clear on the best way to install it and there are no directions that I can find. I've seen wet installation with a little bit of soap in a spray bottle or even dry. I would appreciate any input on the best way to do this install.

Here is a link to the decal at Quadratec:
MOPAR 5NP37LWJAA - MOPAR® "Star" Hood Decal Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 03-02-2014, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Holy crap $139.99??? That's less than a dollar in materials.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

First of all, hopefully you can cancel that order. It's not MOPAR but it should be pretty close to the exact same thing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jk-Jeep-Wran...f19254&vxp=mtr

You for sure need to do a wet install. It will allow you to move it exactly how you want and get any bubbles out of the vinyl.

I have one of the "hood blackout" vinyls on my hood and I basically did the same thing as seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb1eKwN7M4o

Last edited by ahfunaki; 03-02-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Divi
Holy crap $139.99??? That's less than a dollar in materials.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
a fool is born every second hahahaha
Old 03-03-2014, 03:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moezer
Wow - that's kind of a dick reply, dude. If he wants to spend his money on an item for his Jeep, that's his deal.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Hi StreetNDirt,

A couple of drops of dish soap(dawn) in a bottle full of windex...wash/dry the hood first, then clean with alcohol....measure and draw a few light pencil reference marks to center up the decal sheet. spray the area under the decal down with the soapy water. and then center it up and squeegie out the excess ( i used a credit card with some velcro on the edge). BTW, pixel decals has a good selection of jeep decals including the distressed stars if needed..Click image for larger version

Name:	Star_Decal.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	534814
Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7kings
Wow - that's kind of a dick reply, dude. If he wants to spend his money on an item for his Jeep, that's his deal.
What he said. ^^
Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

you are going to have to wet install that with the transfer tape attached or you will mess up the design and spacing. it isn't that hard to do, hopefully for that price they send it wit ha clear transfer tape instead of the white crap.

Its the same process as the video and you wouldn't need to cover the squeegee to prevent scratching. should let the decal dry for a little while before you pull the transfer tape after you squeegee the water out.

Another trick of the trade is to use an exacto knife and poke holes in any bubbles you find then use your fingers to press them flat.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it doesn't come with transfer tape send me a PM ill mail a few feet your way to ease in install.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ahfunaki
First of all, hopefully you can cancel that order. It's not MOPAR but it should be pretty close to the exact same thing: JK Jeep Wrangler Mike Freedom Star Limited Edition Hood Decal | eBay

You for sure need to do a wet install. It will allow you to move it exactly how you want and get any bubbles out of the vinyl.

I have one of the "hood blackout" vinyls on my hood and I basically did the same thing as seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb1eKwN7M4o
Another good suggestion is pixeldecals.com, the guys name is Don and super helpful. He customs makes as well, I just send him a doodle and he can digitize it into a decal. Ebay as ahfunaki mentioned is another good option, got a bunch of random stuff off there.

Originally Posted by Moezer
That really required? Not sure what forum you normally visit but pointlessly demeaning comments are not needed here.

Quick Reply: Mopar Star Hood decal install