Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dash trim under radio bowing out...

Old 03-03-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash trim under radio bowing out...

Just picked up a 2014 JK. 800 miles on it and had the top off yesterday and the trim piece right under the Nav system was bowed out when we came out of the restaurant.... Took like 2 hours in direct FL sunlight to do it.

Took the power window switch plate out and looked behind there and there is nothing attaching the top part of the trim anywhere under the Nav screen. I have read about people having this replaced (not sure why as it probably would do it again I suppose) because there is no attaching point.

Read on another forum about dealers doing some type of "zip tie mod" to that part of the dash, or the back of the window switch bezel and attaching it to something back under the radio. I certainly would not attach it to the window switch bezel though as it would make getting the entire dash off much more difficult.

I was thinking about drilling a small hole (or two, about 3 inches apart) in the very narrow top piece of the dash trim that is supposed to sit right under the nav screen and then run a zip tie to one of the supports back under the radio.

That way I would be able to reach in through the hole where the window switch trim sits and tighten up on the zip tie until the trim was flush under the radio face. Then put the window switch harness back on and the window switch trim back in.

This would allow me to still be able to remove the window switch bezel trim and disconnect the harness so I could I would be able to reach in through that hole to cut the zip ties in case I needed to remove the entire dash trim piece for some reason.

Has anyone tried something like this yet? I know a lot of people have this problem on 2012's through my year I would guess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio trim 1.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	534861Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio trim 2.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	534862
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

My 2011 has done that since day 1. Took it to the stealership, they replaced the dash pieces. But it didn't take long to do it again.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

I was kind of figuring that it would happen again even with a replacement. I was hoping that someone had maybe fixed this on theirs where it worked out good and I could use their "fix" before I tried my approach.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you missing the plastic clips?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

My 2011 2dr and my sisters 2011 4dr both have done it since pretty much new and my 2013 isn't quit as bad but still sticks out a little bit keep us updated how your fix works lots of pics please
Old 03-03-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2013 did this about 6 months after having it. The top had never been off and garage kept at that time. I figure let it go then right before warrantee is up go in and fix all.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Okay I am going to drill 2 really small holes in the top lip of this thing and then thread some of the tiny zip ties through and create two little zip tie rings and then I'm going to run a larger zip tie through those rings to a support bracket back underneath the radio. From what I am looking at this should do the trick. I will post pictures when I do it on what it looks like behind the dash cover looking through the window switch hole and then what it looks like all back together. I figure I can do this without even taking the dash off. Just have to pull it back from the Nav screen face a little.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pumpgas
Okay I am going to drill 2 really small holes in the top lip of this thing and then thread some of the tiny zip ties through and create two little zip tie rings and then I'm going to run a larger zip tie through those rings to a support bracket back underneath the radio. From what I am looking at this should do the trick. I will post pictures when I do it on what it looks like behind the dash cover looking through the window switch hole and then what it looks like all back together. I figure I can do this without even taking the dash off. Just have to pull it back from the Nav screen face a little.
Sorry to resurrect a year old thread but I just noticed this happening on my month old 2015 JK. I pulled the window unit out to look for the cause and found the wiring harness pushing it out. I decided to jump online and look around and found this thread. Did you have any luck with the drilling/zip ties? I've been racking my brain for other ideas but can't think of anything else that would allow me to easily remove the window button unit in the future if necessary.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default My 2015 JKU Rubi HR has it too.

Yeah, my hard rock has it too. Happened the first unusually warm day in February this year. Not quite sure how I'm going to fix it yet. If someone has a solution please post it here.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:29 AM
JK Newbie

My 15 JKU did it several months back after having it for a year. Pissed me off at first but I finally got to a point where I don't even notice it anymore.

Quick Reply: Dash trim under radio bowing out...