Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Jeep Owner Question

Old 06-09-2007, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jeep Owner Question

I bought an 07 2dr Rubicon with a soft top and this being my first jeep, I have a question about having the top down. I live in Virginia and we get a lot of thunderstorms during the summer. Say, for example, I drive to work with the top down and a thunderstorm comes up real sudden with heavy rain and before I can get the top up the interior gets soaked. Won't this damage the radio and the dash electronics? I see a lot wranglers with the tops down and can't beleive they all get their tops up before getting wet. Thanks in advance. I'll check back later for replies but gotta go to work now. (Top up, they're calling for possible storms later)
Old 06-09-2007, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the community.

Simple answer: Yes the rain can damage the electronics.

Long answer: I'm on my 3rd Wrangler and have been caught in the rain several times. Only once did my radio get messed up. (it should be noted that it was an aftermarket Sony in my old YJ)

As a Jeep owner, you will become one with nature. (kidding) Actually, you will become one with the weatherman. I love keeping the top down (or off now that I have a hard top) as much as possible. When there is a chance of rain or scattered showers I put the top on and still leave the doors off. (Safari style) If a full on storm is in the forecast, I just put everything back on.

Here in NM where it rarely rains, guys run bikini tops and dust covers almost year round.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're worried, you could lay a towel on the dash to drape down over the stereo.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Try a trail cover and a bikini top. The combination works well.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Even just a bikini top should keep the stereo dry in all but driving rain.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Bikini top if 2 door safari top if 4 door. It kept the raido dry the couple of times it was in the rain however if it is one of those sideways blowing rains it will blow in if the doors are off. If they are on and you have a hard top originally I know for a fact it will come in between the door and the roll bar because there is a gap. Now onto the back. In either case make sure you pull the plug in the storage compartment because all the rain will flood it and it takes about a week for the carpet to dry out.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

hi there. I was just curious if any of you guys have driven around in the rain with your top on and all your doors off? If so, what was the outcome? Did the interior get soaked?

I really dont feel like putting my doors back on cause it feels so much better with them off.

Any precautions i should take/tips about driving around in the rain with no doors?

Neil.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Well mine took a lot of rain last week ... and the week before ...and until now everything works great .. last week it sat in the parking lot for two hours getting wet with no top and no doors on ...but I guess that's what its for Its a JEEP..
Old 07-10-2007, 01:29 AM
JK Newbie

i've seen thin waterproof covers that you can get which drape over the open topped wrangler, they look like they could be thrown over and tied down with a few fixing points. when you're finished with it it folds up into a bag ... i'll try and track down the picture that i saw
Old 07-10-2007, 03:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by taffylad
i've seen thin waterproof covers that you can get which drape over the open topped wrangler, they look like they could be thrown over and tied down with a few fixing points. when you're finished with it it folds up into a bag ... i'll try and track down the picture that i saw
They are called trail covers. There is at least two companies making them that I am aware of and I am sure at least one of the sponsoring vendors carry them.

Quick Reply: New Jeep Owner Question