Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

15" Alloy Wheels VS. 15" Steel Wheels

Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I'm getting married in September, so I'll be strapped until then. Will you be offering this deal at the end of the year?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered these wheels, black 15" and 5 new BFG 33x10.5x15 tires to go with them. Being installed later today.

I can't wait to see them!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dustyjk
Thanks! I'm getting married in September, so I'll be strapped until then. Will you be offering this deal at the end of the year?
Tire and wheel prices do fluctuate since they are transportation items so the prices listed in the OP may change (up or down). Also, the instant $50.00 savings for purchasing a new set of these wheels is scheduled to end March 31st of this year.

I can understand being strapped for cash since you are getting married soon but if you're interested, we do offer finacing through Car Care One. Here's the link with more details.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ePromosDTD.jsp

Originally Posted by xerofall
I ordered these wheels, black 15" and 5 new BFG 33x10.5x15 tires to go with them. Being installed later today.

I can't wait to see them!

Post some pictures up here if you get a chance Thank you for your support!

-Matt
Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie

Yep... I did the financing... got 12 months interest free too.

I am VERY VERY VERY happy!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Looks great xerofall!
Old 03-27-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct
Tire and wheel prices do fluctuate since they are transportation items so the prices listed in the OP may change (up or down). Also, the instant $50.00 savings for purchasing a new set of these wheels is scheduled to end March 31st of this year.

I can understand being strapped for cash since you are getting married soon but if you're interested, we do offer finacing through Car Care One. Here's the link with more details.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ePromosDTD.jsp
Thanks for the information. It's great to know you guys offer that. I'll probably just take my chances and order later this year. Those new pics look great... gotta love the rescue green
Old 03-27-2010, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

I'll have tons more pics after getting back from Jeep Safari, but it's a sunny day today... so I took a few more.

Last edited by xerofall; 03-28-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

^Excellent choice. Please let us know if we can help.
PM sent
Old 03-30-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Are the shiney alloy MB72 a raw aluminum or do they have a clear coat on them so they wont tarnish, Also where are they made?

As an enthusiast myself, and a cost conscious one at that, I thought I should share some insights with you all on this subject.

Those that are thinking about purchasing 15" steel wheels may want to consider purchasing 15" MB72's instead. Here's why:

First, WEIGHT. Steel wheels are extremely heavy. The average 15x8 soft 8 styled wheel weighs approx. 27 lbs. On the aluminum side the MB72 in 15x8 weighs only 20lbs. This is a 35% weight difference. 7lbs per wheel may not sound like much to some of you but those that know about unsprung weight will tell you that every ounce you can save at your wheels is worth saving. The less weight you have in your wheels and tires the more $$$ you will save at the pump and the more power you will have at your feet when you want it.

Second FITMENT: Many of you have already found that 15" steel wheels are very hit and miss with brake clearance. Steel wheels are manufactured in two pieces, the center is stamped into shape and then welded to the barrel. This stamping process leaves flanges at the back of the spokes (or holes in the soft 8's case) and these flanges often make contact with the Jk's brake calipers. The easiest fix for this is to run spacers (not recommended by the wheel manufacturer). Running spacers adds $$$ to your wheel and tire package and again, weight. (The common Spidertrax bolt on spacers run $99.00 for the set of 4) Some may try to grind down the wheel or caliper this is not recommended either. Grinding down the wheel can jeopardize the strength of the wheel and grinding down your brake caliper can be enough for some dealers to void your vehicles warranty. As for the MB72... It fits like a glove with no need for spacers. The MB72 in a 15x8 with a -19mm offset (3.75BS) can run a 35x12.50-15 without any rubbing. (min leveling kit needed) Here's a link to a test fit we did. This jeep has a 4" long travel suspension. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...highlight=mb72

Now on to STRENGTH: This is the controversial one and I personally don't know which one is stronger. I have heard arguments for both but I haven't seen any data to support either. Some say steel wheels are stronger and if bent can be straightened. Some say aluminum alloy wheels are stronger and have higher resistance for impacts. Neither of these manufacturer's have data for side impact testing. Both wheels are tested on a pass fail basis and both wheels, for DOT purposes, pass. According to each wheel manufacturer both wheels have a load carrying capacity of 2200 lbs. I'm thinking, I might be able to have some testing done for this subject. I will keep you posted.

FINISH: Steel rusts, Aluminum alloy doesn't. Enough said here I think. Either one can be touched up easily if scratched or scuffed.

This all leads us down to COST. Most people would think that with all the benefits for running alloy wheels there would be a pretty good cost difference as well. With this wheel, this is not the case. The MB72 has been brought in to help you get more for your money and it is doing just that. Here are package details based off current pricing with Jk-Forum member Discount. (Prices do not include tax or installation)

Cragar Soft 8 with 35" KM2's -(one of our favorite tires )
15x8 Cragar Soft 8 13mm offset Black: $80.00 each with FREE shipping (includes center cap)
35x12.50R15 BFG KM2: $209.00 each
Mount and balance: FREE
NON TPMS valves: $3.00 each
Installation kit: (lugs): $45.00
Jk-forum member Discount with purchase of 5 tires: -$50.00 off total
Sub Total package for 5 each: $1455.00

Add cost of bolt on Spidertrax spacers: $99.00
Grand total: $1554.00
Now for the MB72 with 35" KM2's.
15x8 MB72 19mm offset Matte Black: $99.00 each with FREE shipping
35x12.50R15 BFG KM2: $209.00 each
Mount and balance: FREE
NON TPMS valves: $3.00 each
Installation kit: (lugs + hub rings): $45.00
Jk-forum member Discount with purchase of 5 tires: -$50.00 off total
Sub Total package for 5 each: $1550.00

Add to this our current promotion of $50.00 off any set of wheels (excluding steel wheels) and..
your Final cost is $1500
Those that want to can probably figure out the fuel savings in an average year to add to this cost difference. I'll leave that up to the mathematicians.

In the past we have only had the machined finish available in the MB72 but due to many of you asking for a Matte Black finish it is now available. Please let us know if we can help you with your next set.
Link: Mb72 15x8 -19mm offset in Matte Black

Picture of 15" MB72 in Machined finish with 35" Goodyear MTR origionals Jeep has a 4" long travel suspension.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by johnyrrr
Are the shiney alloy MB72 a raw aluminum or do they have a clear coat on them so they wont tarnish, Also where are they made?
The MB Motoring 72 Series in both finishes (matte black & mirror machined) have a clear coat finish. This wheel model is produced in Lioho, China.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 01-26-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 15" Alloy Wheels VS. 15" Steel Wheels