Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Alpha Expedition: Gobi Roof Rack.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the gobi rack is a must have for my project... my only question is can someone please go take a video and post it on youtube of the gobi rack.. taking the top on and off.. and make an actual good video showing all sides and features of the jeep.. if i am going to go spend 1600 on a roof rack.. i wanna be sure..

i know all the reviews say that its the best rack around and its worth the money, but how come there arnt any videos proving the strength, and easy quick disconects and the ease of taking the soft top up and down..

so my request/question is.. can someone PLEASE make a video and post it on youtube of the features, rack capabilities, and the removing of the sof top... i know the special only last a few more days.. i just want to be sure..

THANKS A BUNCH..
Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheGator
the gobi rack is a must have for my project... my only question is can someone please go take a video and post it on youtube of the gobi rack.. taking the top on and off.. and make an actual good video showing all sides and features of the jeep.. if i am going to go spend 1600 on a roof rack.. i wanna be sure..

i know all the reviews say that its the best rack around and its worth the money, but how come there arnt any videos proving the strength, and easy quick disconects and the ease of taking the soft top up and down..

so my request/question is.. can someone PLEASE make a video and post it on youtube of the features, rack capabilities, and the removing of the sof top... i know the special only last a few more days.. i just want to be sure..

THANKS A BUNCH..
Since mine is on order, I'll take detailed pictures of everything (install) and try and do a video of how it works with the tops.

There is a video on Alpha's website with someone jumping up and down on it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Alpha's site has some stuff...If I end up taking my top off this weekend (come one weather!) I'll take video.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Originally Posted by TheGator

THANKS A BUNCH..

I think is because no one want to really break their expensive rack. Now. I have load my 4 dr Ranger rack with my ARB Roof Top tent aprox 150lbs, 2x 30lbs metal Jerry can with full gas, and a large duffel bag with about 50-70lbs of gear in it. plus my axe, plus my shovel just to give you an idea.

Manufacture state 300lbs max moving weights and 600lbs of stand weights of the rack. But please do remember that you will be top heavy with a fully loaded rack. and the maneuverability will change additional cautions are must.
Okay for rack without quick disco. You just unbolt the 4 bolts (2 per side) by the front light bar and then tilt the rack back. Then unfold your soft top as usual. Kinda like this. ( Hope this might help a bit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi0ESJ_y3e4

Last edited by MBATF; 02-19-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Originally Posted by kenallwine
Since mine is on order, I'll take detailed pictures of everything (install) and try and do a video of how it works with the tops.

There is a video on Alpha's website with someone jumping up and down on it.
Yes. I took the video right after Mike installed his rack.

Originally Posted by Cedo Nulli
Alpha's site has some stuff...If I end up taking my top off this weekend (come one weather!) I'll take video.

Watch out now!!! Cedo is taking his top off and making a video of it.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah. Ive seen both of those videos. One is of a guy jumping on it for about 6 seconds... the other is of a guy taking the soft top off.. but its only from the front..

while those are both videos of the gobi rack. they are short and not exactly helping with how it actually works.... I understand the quick disconnects and how it folds back.. but like many people im a "visual learner/understander", if thats even a phrase...

thanks for all the responses and the project of taking on the videos.. im sure it will help a bunch..

thanks again!!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Anybody located a picture of the elusive wind deflector?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MBATF
I think is because no one want to really break their expensive rack. Now. I have load my 4 dr Ranger rack with my ARB Roof Top tent aprox 150lbs, 2x 30lbs metal Jerry can with full gas, and a large duffel bag with about 50-70lbs of gear in it. plus my axe, plus my shovel just to give you an idea.

Manufacture state 300lbs max moving weights and 600lbs of stand weights of the rack. But please do remember that you will be top heavy with a fully loaded rack. and the maneuverability will change additional cautions are must.
Okay for rack without quick disco. You just unbolt the 4 bolts (2 per side) by the front light bar and then tilt the rack back. Then unfold your soft top as usual. Kinda like this. ( Hope this might help a bit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi0ESJ_y3e4
I have a question on this video, what is the track leaning on or how is it secured in that position during this video? I have used the strap from the rack to the front light bar, but sometimes it is hard to get the top back due to the strap, this looks easier.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by raykru
I have a question on this video, what is the track leaning on or how is it secured in that position during this video? I have used the strap from the rack to the front light bar, but sometimes it is hard to get the top back due to the strap, this looks easier.
In that video I used a ratchet strap between a D-ring that I have in my trailer hitch (but anything in the bumper area will do) and the bar on the center/back of the rack. Makes it easy to get in and work on the top without needing to keep the thing propped up.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone used the rack for photography? To stand on (180 lbs) with a photo tripod and gear (35 lbs). Looks like it should do well, just checking and looking for any input.

Thanks Roy

'09 2 door rubi

Quick Reply: Alpha Expedition: Gobi Roof Rack.