Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Poison Spyder Hood Louvers--Now for JK!

Old 08-07-2017, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default simple fix for

eliminating water from dumping in when washing it or heavy rain or when it snows here in the north woods and is parked outside. Works for me anyway ! Some dont mind the water but i did . Just some black vinyl for upholstery and ill get some black waxed rope string. and 4 of these spring fasteners( 4) plastic snap grommets for a tie off. All for about 15.00 bucks / roll it up when not needed .

Just what i did anyway . It just bugs me to watch water rolling into the vents when it can be prevented pretty easy for a few seconds worth of time to toss it over the louver. it falls into place so really you dont have to tie it except if its windy and you leave it. (maybe some stick on magnets would work well too . but ill most likely use tie off

Just easyer when you wash it too . no having to wipe dry all the water on the louver
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	673980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	673981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grommet-Snap-Together-7-16-Black_1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	673982   Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	673983  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 08-07-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:30 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Just easyer when you wash it too . no having to wipe dry all the water on the louver
LOL, how you get the hood lover clean? Granted, I don't have to park outside overnight or during the day when it rains, but still......wash engine all the time with lower pressure water. same thing. Unless you have an exposed air filter, what is the harm here? These have been around for ages. Someone please show me the documented incident where someone lost an engine due to water trickling from a hood louver.

I'm not baggin on you. You are not the only person that has had that concern, and you have come up with a solution that fits your need, so kudos. But, do yall not clean your engines at all? If so, what's the difference?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little extra time big pay-off

I just wanted to share an idea I had and the results, well were excellent. First after you make your cut-outs save the metal, second take the extra time and mask off the triangles underneath the hood. Sine you have to spray the edges to protect from rusting use rustolium semi black gloss and paint the triangles black as well as edges. When you install the louvers it will give the hood a very factory look. Then take the cut out pieces and make squares and place them behind the spyders on your bumpers and skid plate if you have them. After you clean the back of bumpers/skid plate use 3M body tape along with 3M adhesive promoter (you will swear they are welded on) This will make the recesses pop. Have black paint an accent color and make those Spyders really stand out. Pretty trick for hardly no money just time.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2512.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	673984Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2385.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	673985Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2297.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	673986
Old 08-08-2017, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No one said anything about loosing a engine from having the louver

Originally Posted by resharp001
LOL, how you get the hood lover clean? Granted, I don't have to park outside overnight or during the day when it rains, but still......wash engine all the time with lower pressure water. same thing. Unless you have an exposed air filter, what is the harm here? These have been around for ages. Someone please show me the documented incident where someone lost an engine due to water trickling from a hood louver.

I'm not baggin on you. You are not the only person that has had that concern, and you have come up with a solution that fits your need, so kudos. But, do yall not clean your engines at all? If so, what's the difference?
My reasoning is as, was stated, for heavy rain, snow, and washing the jeep . As far as the hood louver cleaning on mine dosent get that dirty here in nh i dont play in the mud . Its a dd and my hunting vehicle. in this thread way back i said that i park mine out in the elements for a couple of months in the spring. yes ive noticed quite a difference in the engine bay cleanliness since the install ,( * A bit more dirty after the modification of the factory hood) enough to make me regret ? No . i also find that when washing the jeep after having the louver when i lift the hood up all the water is trapped in the x frame and pours down onto the engine. i dont care for that , thats a reason i tossed a cover on. now that does not happen.and i can wipe the louver clean by hand . I didnt make a cover for washing as much as i did for rain and snowey months where i dont want snow melting down the vents. Im not suggesting you personally to make one . i just showed what i did to assist my need. you may feel comfortable with the elements of your area where you live. NH has quite extreme weather conditions when my jeep is exposed to that stuff. Maybe it will prove to be useless in ice might freeze over lol .that could be maybe worse . if thats the case im not so crazy over the louver besides its appearance it gives. (i do like that aspect.)

and generally all i need to do with cleaning my engine bay area is wipe it with
lemon pledge or some cleaner product . Its just dusty. Not mud or clay so once or twice a year is all

why do people by car covers or partial covers for their jeep ? To keep some elements out.
I for one am in tall pine trees and the dam pine needles alone is enough reason to have a cover over the louver . They dont just blow away as you drive . You have to pull them out of the slots in the vent some days even worse with a rain and wind and pine needles . This should help with that type of thing (trust me im not anal about my jeep being clean lol) it sees quit a bit of nasty conditions during hunting season too

There are more than just one type of jeepers out here to be quite honest. not every one does rocks or mud And different parts of the country have climate variations my area is logging roads . Not baggin on u (as you put it ) on you either lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17554701_10208862366658302_28269733_n.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	673989  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 08-08-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got around installing it... So far I'm happy, temps dropped a bit. Not sure if it's just the placebo affect but I feel the jeep acceleration a tad better. I'll take better pictures this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScwSlDr.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	4.24 MB
ID:	680372

Click image for larger version

Name:	uoiX5Us.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	4.38 MB
ID:	680373

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder Hood Louvers--Now for JK!