Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Rough Country All new MLC-6 Switch box, relay distribution box

Old 04-18-2017, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took a couple photos of the Rough Country Switch Pod in the dark this morning for you guys that are wondering what it is like. Again, note that the switch pod is in fact lit up 24 hours a day by default. There are also owners that have modified the battery + cable by splicing in an 80 amp relay that is switched by I believe fuse F7 (verify that!) that goes hot when the engine is running, not when the key is in accessory.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rough Country Switch Pod 2.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	1,018.3 KB
ID:	670434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rough Country Switch Pod 1.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	670435  
Old 04-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a pretty smart way to work around that. But yeah like RC said the small LEDs draw so little power that it should take quite a while to drain a battery. Only If you are not using the Jeep for weeks at a time would it be a problem.

If the light bothers you at night, you could swap out the face of the switch and put one which isnt designed for a light so it would be dark.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sami@inspired-engineering
That is a pretty smart way to work around that. But yeah like RC said the small LEDs draw so little power that it should take quite a while to drain a battery. Only If you are not using the Jeep for weeks at a time would it be a problem.

If the light bothers you at night, you could swap out the face of the switch and put one which isnt designed for a light so it would be dark.
Honestly.... The dash and radio lighting is much brighter than the pod switch lighting. I have seen folks complaining about it in other posts, but it is not something to me that really demands my attention nor do I personally see it as an issue as being overly bright or distracting. I wonder if some folks may have vision that is more acutely aware of the indigo blue lighting or something and they possibly see if differently from what I am seeing?

The other point to push up to the front for those with a manual is that I am not sure how you would get the plug through the firewall without cutting the wires or getting a pin pulling tool and removing the pins and re-inserting them into the plug on the engine side. For the automatic it is super easy, go through the rubber plug that plugs the pass-through in the firewall for where the manual clutch passes through. If any of you with a manual have a work around, maybe share it here so others know an easy way to get the harness through.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Saw on Facebook RC saying they may add an LED-deactivation button. Glad I waited!
Old 04-22-2017, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

Just installed mine as well. So far it's great. For those of you wanting to disable the LED's while the Jeep is off: I haven't tested this, but it should be as simple as de-pinning the green wire (since that's the one that controls the LED backlights) at the relay end of the cable, and instead routing that over to the M7 fuse with an add-a-circuit. That way you still get full switch functionality when the Jeep is off, just no LED's.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by secretspy711
Just installed mine as well. So far it's great. For those of you wanting to disable the LED's while the Jeep is off: I haven't tested this, but it should be as simple as de-pinning the green wire (since that's the one that controls the LED backlights) at the relay end of the cable, and instead routing that over to the M7 fuse with an add-a-circuit. That way you still get full switch functionality when the Jeep is off, just no LED's.
There's a new video on YouTube from JMG Designs that does a great job detailing how to 'fix' the LED issue so they aren't always on and are dimmable.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor

In stock guys. Save big with these.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Can you shoot me a quote please? Shipping to 37205
Thanks!
Old 07-03-2017, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie