Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Poison Spyder Bolt-Together Trail Cage Kits

Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM
DTS
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poison Spyder Bolt-Together Trail Cage Kits

The Poison Spyder Bolt-Together Trail Cage Kit (patent pending) is the strongest add-on cage you can bolt in to your JK. Designed to strengthen your Jeep's existing roll bar, the Poison Spyder Trail Cage Kit fortifies the driver and passenger area by adding a robust cage fabricated from CNC laser notched, NC-bent DOM steel tubing and CNC laser cut, precision brake-formed 3/16" plate steel components. When shopping for a cage kit for your Jeep, make sure that any product you are considering uses stronger DOM, "Drawn Over Mandrel" structural tubing rather than the cheaper welded seam tubing that some manufacturers use. Currently, the Poison spyder Trail Cage Kit fits 2007-2010 JK''s only. A version for 2011-2012 is in development.

A Better Bolt-Together Method
Bolt-in cage kits need a way to join the structural tubing components of the kit. Popular kits on the market today use either a knuckle-style clamp or a simple tube insert with crush bolt. Both methods have their weaknesses. For instance the large knuckle style clamps may look beefy, but they're still pre-loading a clamping force onto a rather thin wall tube, creating a dangerous stress riser right at the junction of two tube members—where the cage is likely to see its biggest stresses. Poison Spyder uses a system of CNC machined, solid steel interlocking tube couplers that are placed inline along the run of a tube member, rather than at the joints of the cage. These tube clamps are placed where the cage is not likely to see side loads, however they are still stronger than the knuckle style clamp in a side-loading situation. At the tube junctions are the high quality, laser-notched, professionally welded tube junctions you would find in a custom fabricated cage. The interlocking tube couplers are also lower profile, with the same outside diameter as the tubing itself, so it yields a sleeker, less "bolt-in" appearance.

Full-Height A-Pillar Assembly
The A-Pillar section of the Poison Spyder JK Trail Cage Kit extends all the way to the floor of the JK with a single piece of CNC laser cut, precision brake-formed 3/16" plate steel. The A-Pillar hugs the contours of the Jeep's dash ends perfectly, making the best use of the limited space available for an A-Pillar that does not hinder legroom or ease of entry. The A-Pillar bolts not only to the floor, but to the forward door post via a 1/2" thick strengthening rib, and also to the dash structure itself. The lower end of the A-Pillar is fortified with heavy duty gusseting. Competitors' cage kits either do not include full-height A-Pillars (stopping at the bottom of the dash) or require the purchase of a separate bolt-on lower piece.

Full DOM Tube Door Headers
The Poison Spyder JK Trail Cage Kit includes full DOM replacements for the cheap stock header bars. The DOM tube structure of the header bars is integrated into the overal cage design to form a complete, well thought-out cage structure. Some competing bolt-in cages retain the use of the stock header bars, clamping the added-on components to the weak thin wall stock tubing.

DOM Tube Dash and Windshield Crossbars
The Poison Spyder JK Trail Cage Kit includes DOM tube crossbars just above the dash and at the top of the windshield, to provide structural rigidity and side-load strength to the cage. The upper windshield crossbar is compatible with the OE sun visors. The dash bar tighltly hugs the top of the Jeep's dash, but is compatible with the factory tweeter speakers. By using Poison Spyder's interlocking tube coupler system, these horizontal members of the cage bolt together while preserving the strength of a traditional welded cage.

Plate Steel Center Stringer
The center overhead stringer on the Poison Spyder JK Trail Cage Kit is fabricated from CNC laser cut, brake-formed 3/16" plate steel. Other cages on the market use two pieces of tubing for the center stringers, but Poison Spyder's 3/16" plate steel piece provides ultimate overhead protection, great looks, and a convenient flat mounting surface for items like CB radios, switches, dome lights, etc. The top of the stringer "box" is open, for easy access for wiring, or as a convenient place to store maps under a soft top. The 4-Door JK specific kit includes a matching rear center stringer, to tie the OE center and rear crossbars securely together.

Optional Weld-In C-Pillar Kit
For those looking to further enhance the JK 4-Door Trail Cage installation, the Poison Spyder C-Pillar Kit (sold separately) ads strength to the rear passenger portion of the OE cage. This kit must be welded in to the OE cage at the top, but it bolts in at the lower end. The C-Pillar kit consists of CNC laser cut lengths of 1.75" OD, .120" wall DOM tubing, and engineered foot plates that are fabricated from CNC laser cut, brake-formed 3/16" plate steel. Convenient indexing tabs and slots are provided where the DOM tube connects with the foot plate, making assembly quick and easy.

Optional Entry Grab Handles
Entry Grab Handles may be added to your JK Trail Cage Kit, by selecting it from the options when adding to your cart. These handles are NC-bent, 1.25" OD DOM tubing, and designed to aid ease-of-entry as well as provide a solid grab point for driver and passenger while four-wheeling. The handles will come already welded to the Trail Cage.

Click Here for the 2-Door Trail Cage Kit
Click Here for the 4-Door Trail Cage Kit
Click Here for the 4-Door C-Pillar Kit

Last edited by DTS; 11-03-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Removed blacklisted manufacturer pics
Old 10-14-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

I like it. To bad the center plates up top aren't some type of storage area too.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have been looking at this for sometime now, its on my list for sure
Old 10-16-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Junkie

this is by far my favorite cage!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you show a close up of how much of the plastic at the top off the A pillar needs to be cut. It doesn't look lined up in that one shot.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
Can you show a close up of how much of the plastic at the top off the A pillar needs to be cut. It doesn't look lined up in that one shot.

Thanks
Here's a link to our entire photo gallery for this kit. You can look through there but I don't think any of those photos show that area any better. Its still a fairly new product and we don't have a very extensive photo collection of it yet. Unfortunately I don't have an installed on here on the premises to run out and grab a photo for you. Next time I do, I'll try to get one that shows that area more clearly.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi

I've been wanting a c pillar for a long time. Nice to see someone stepped up to the plate and built one (and is selling it separately).
Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK

Thanks
Originally Posted by DTS
Here's a link to our entire photo gallery for this kit. You can look through there but I don't think any of those photos show that area any better. Its still a fairly new product and we don't have a very extensive photo collection of it yet. Unfortunately I don't have an installed on here on the premises to run out and grab a photo for you. Next time I do, I'll try to get one that shows that area more clearly.
Larry just dropped by my desk to remind me that the Spyder JK, which those photos are from, had several different cage versions in it while we were going through a rather lengthy R&D period for these cages. The plastic fascia's on it were kind of beat up and had been trimmed and re-trimmed for a few different cage versions, and therefore ended up not fitting so well on the final design. I'll see if I can get some better photos of it from some other Jeeps where the cage was a fresh install.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, I saw the Spyder JK at EJS. Pretty impressive at Pritchett Canyon.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default cage

is this ready for the 2011 jku yet?

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder Bolt-Together Trail Cage Kits