Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Poison Spyder Hood Louvers--Now for JK!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM
DTS
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poison Spyder Hood Louvers--Now for JK!

The Poison Spyder JK Hood Louver helps keep your engine running cool by promoting airflow through the engine compartment. Many factors can contribute to high under-hood temperatures, which can translate to higher engine coolant temperatures and overheating. Headers, slow speeds, flex fans, and the cramped spaces of the engine compartment can all contribute to increased heat and reduced airflow.

This Hood Louver kit frees up airflow through the engine compartment, allowing hot air to escape and cooler air to be drawn in through the radiator, improving cooling of both the engine coolant and under-hood air. Rock-crawlers and slow-moving vehicles are especially susceptible, as slower speeds naturally result in reduced airflow.

In addition to improved cooling performance, Poison Spyder Hood Louvers add great looks to your Jeep! Crafted from thick gauge aluminum sheet, CNC laser-cut and precision die-stamped. Hood Louvers are fairly easy to install but do require some drilling and cutting of your hood. Stainless steel fasteners are supplied. Hood Louvers are available in bare aluminum or powder coated black.

We've had these for TJ's for years, and are finally releasing it for the JK! We'll add more installed photos as we get them, we're just a little light on them at this point since this is a brand new product
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 AM
DTS
Former Member

Here's an interesting look at the packaging process used to protect our aluminum Hood Louver panels during transit. We had to put almost as much R&D into the custom packaging as we did for the part itself!

First the bare or powder coated Hood Louver panel goes into a protective plastic envelope...

Specially made styrofoam box liners protect the Hood Louver during shipping. First the installation guide and cut template go in...

Next the Hood Louver panel is carefully packed into the styrofoam box liner. Hardware kit is taped into place in the corner.

The specially made cover piece holds the Hood Louver panel snugly in place while protecting the raised louvers.

The styrofoam box liner and cover, with Hood Louver panel snugly in place, is inserted into a heavy duty, specially made carton.

Once its sealed up, its ready to ship around the world and safely reach its destination.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda looks like a lot of water will be able to get in. but maybe it's just me
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good and I am considering this, or at least some louver system, but I think it would look much better if you painted under the louver flat black and not have the paint colour show thru. As my JK is Stone White this would be more an issue than a darker coloured Jeep IMO.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by Huckleberryjeep
kinda looks like a lot of water will be able to get in. but maybe it's just me
Its not just you. Lots of people seem to have that concern. So far we haven't heard of it being a problem for anyone, and there is already an installed base of hundreds of these on TJ's all over the country. Its not like the engine compartment is sealed anyhow. Water can and does get splashed up into there. But the engine itself is well weatherproofed from the factory, so whatever rain water trickles through the louvers doesn't hurt anything. Just make sure that if you do any extra mods under the hood, such as adding wiring for lights and such, that its all weatherproofed with good automotive connectors.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by Work in Progress - JK
Looks good and I am considering this, or at least some louver system, but I think it would look much better if you painted under the louver flat black and not have the paint colour show thru. As my JK is Stone White this would be more an issue than a darker coloured Jeep IMO.
You're welcome to paint it any color you like!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

looks awesome, 2 big questions. a) cost? and b) any chance of a sneak peak at the install instructions? I love the idea of one of these, as it looks wicked and I like a cooler engine, but cutting the hood always scares me. for some reason. I mean sure, taking the sawsall to the frame was no issue, but that pretty orange hood, I love it so!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by sneck
looks awesome, 2 big questions. a) cost? and b) any chance of a sneak peak at the install instructions? I love the idea of one of these, as it looks wicked and I like a cooler engine, but cutting the hood always scares me. for some reason. I mean sure, taking the sawsall to the frame was no issue, but that pretty orange hood, I love it so!
Price is $129 bare, +$30 powder coated. That is an introductory price that will stay in effect for a while. If we decide to end it at some point we'll give fair warning.

Yeah some people have a hard time swallowing the cutting of sheetmetal, especially when they're still making payments on it! LOL...anyhow, here's a link to the install template, which has instructions on it.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Any issues with rust around the edges? Jeeps + rust = bad
Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 AM
DTS
Former Member

Originally Posted by jeepguy553
Any issues with rust around the edges? Jeeps + rust = bad
We haven't heard of any issues. As with any install where cutting of metal is involved, it is up to the installer to prep/paint all cut surfaces and bare metal prior to install.

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder Hood Louvers--Now for JK!