JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sponsoring-manufacturers-vendors-check-out-cyber-monday-specials-24/)
-   -   Suggestions for Tuffy full console (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sponsoring-manufacturers-vendors-check-out-cyber-monday-specials-24/suggestions-tuffy-full-console-22249/)

tuffy2 12-05-2007 11:46 AM

Suggestions for Tuffy full console

Tuffy is in the design stages of the JK Full replacement center console. Unlike the JK Security Console Insert which requires the factory Jeep console, this will be a complete console that can be used where no factory console was installed or to completely replace a factory console.

This console is proving to be a little more difficult due to some of the issues specific to the JK (i.e. power window switches and electrical wiring in the factory console, differences in the height on the automatic shifter compared to the manual shifter, etc.). If anybody has input or suggestions that I can pass on to our product designer regarding what you are looking for in a console, please post your comments. Please remember that the console will be made out of 16 gauge steel with security being a primary focus (similar to the Tuffy part #040 for the TJ). Molded plastic or wood is not our specialty, but the console will have a comfortable padded armrest. We are looking for suggestions that would be applicable to JK owners in general and not specific to one persons exact needs for their special application.

Thanks for the input

Jeff Fox
Tuffy Security Products

00pumpkin 12-05-2007 12:12 PM

-I would like to have a complete replacement for my Auto console with the power windows, OD switch, and large cup holders for the front and rear.

-I would like to see a deeper and possible larger "storage" area thats in front of the auto shifter. The factory recessed area is fairly useless.

-As usual I would like a large padded armrest that is higher than the factory one.

-I would also like to see a change holder built in to the inside of the console.

-A really great feature would be if you could include a light inside the console as well that had a pressure switch so when the lid is open, the light comes one automatically.

Thanks for caring about what the customer wants!

Robar 12-05-2007 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 00pumpkin (Post 254663)
-I would like to have a complete replacement for my Auto console with the power windows, OD switch, and large cup holders for the front and rear.

-I would like to see a deeper and possible larger "storage" area thats in front of the auto shifter. The factory recessed area is fairly useless.

-As usual I would like a large padded armrest that is higher than the factory one.

-I would also like to see a change holder built in to the inside of the console.

-A really great feature would be if you could include a light inside the console as well that had a pressure switch so when the lid is open, the light comes one automatically.

Thanks for caring about what the customer wants!

What he said + power coat to match the OEM interior.

jeepik 12-05-2007 12:21 PM

wait what am i missing here, the power windows switches are in the stereo and a/c center dash not in the console????

crossbones 12-05-2007 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by jeepik (Post 254678)
wait what am i missing here, the power windows switches are in the stereo and a/c center dash not in the console????

The Unlimited has controls for the rear passengers in the rear of the center console....

jeff@zina.com 12-05-2007 12:43 PM

I have the insert, and the top needs a way to stay open without being held. Having it open past 90 degrees would work. Rear cupholder add-on, similar to the TJ versions would be nice. A couple inches higher than the factory and the insert would make the arm rest usable.

Jeff

brian_crystal 12-05-2007 12:47 PM

I personnally would settle for a console that had a higher armrest.
However, care should be taken to either spray some kind of rubberized coating on the inside or ensure that there is a heavy gasket where the console meets the metal floor (for the large number who either rip the carpet out or LINEX the interior)...sound carries in the metal consoles, I think.
Other than that...ditto what the first guy said. I will especially second the thought of a second storage area in front of the shifter as there is a lot of unused space down there.
My 2 cents.

cab76 12-05-2007 01:14 PM

I would like to see a console set up that is designed for at least an 8" subwoofer.

Omega Man 12-05-2007 01:22 PM

an inch or 2 taller and have the arm rest stick forward and inch or so more (toward the shifter).

Powder coated to match interior

Front and rear cup holders are fine. It will already hold a fatty's 164 oz drink no need to change that if it gets any bigger then it will be the storage bin.

Something in side the storage area to hold some change and pens, pencils.

A light would also be ok.

tgrt 12-05-2007 02:20 PM

A match for the factory interior is a must for me. Besides that more compartment storage, storage in front of the shifters like others have mentioned, and a coil holder in the inside.

A few nice additional features, although really just things on the wish list would be a real plug-in, a small cooler, and maybe some type of map pocket.