Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Truck-Lite's New LED Headlamp Series

Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either way I'm not overly concerned with the flicker, I just want to be able to see properly at night and have my headlights match the rest of my lights.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver
If we buy these, and there is a flicker problem, will Truck-Lites supply a battery to headlight wiring harness(for free)?

I understand the PWM, but is there no way to design around it?
X2 great question. I hate the idea of having to spend another 100+ to buy a harness after the fact.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lightningsti
Trucklight will be making a harness to connect to the lights, to stop the flicker. I have the lights and the harness these lights are great.
I have never seen Trucklite say they are developing such a harness, just they are looking into solutions. Yes you can add a capacitor and it will help, but it will not remedy the PWM issue. LEDs have a turn-off time that's many times faster than the decay rate of a capacitor. The only 100% way to correct the Jeep's PWM, is to compeltely bypass it with a relay harness or increase the frequency of the PMW to a rate undetectable to the human eye (approx 18k Hz). The first option is much cheaper.

The "harness" you have is nothing more than a H13 to H4 adapter, it will do absoultly nothing to remedy the problem. Really the easiest solution for Trucklite is just to resell the rally lights harness (just like Daniel Stern does).
Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lensstj
X2 great question. I hate the idea of having to spend another 100+ to buy a harness after the fact.
To be clear, a harness is not REQUIRED to operate. The PWM signal will operate the headlamps just fine. Some people actually do not even notice the flicker and is usually only present when the electrical system is under heavy load or when the vehical is at idle. The more accessories you have, the more noticable it will be. I actually ran my LED headlights for about 2 months with just the capacitor fix, the flicker was barely noticable but still bugged me.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 02-14-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I have never seen Trucklite say they are developing such a harness, just they are looking into solutions. Yes you can add a capacitor and it will help, but it will not remedy the PWM issue. LEDs have a turn-off time that's many times faster than the decay rate of a capacitor. The only 100% way to correct the Jeep's PWM, is to compeltely bypass it with a relay harness or increase the frequency of the PMW to a rate undetectable to the human eye (approx 18k Hz). The first option is much cheaper.

The "harness" you have is nothing more than a H13 to H4 adapter, it will do absoultly nothing to remedy the problem. Really the easiest solution for Trucklite is just to resell the rally lights harness (just like Daniel Stern does).
Nope, it more then just an adaptor, sorry not electrical engineer not sure what is inside of it, but I do know it more then adapotor. We used a similar harness on a military setup.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, it more then just an adaptor, sorry not electrical engineer not sure what is inside of it, but I do know it more then adapotor. We used a similar harness on a military setup.
Their website shows it as nothing more than a H13 to H4 adapter.
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...tentryId=78560

It sould like what you are referring to is an antiflicker capacitor (usually small black box). I did not see any such offerings on their website. Such a fix is very inexpensive (about 10-15 dollars) and is a very viable middle ground.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Their website shows it as nothing more than a H13 to H4 adapter.
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...tentryId=78560

It sould like what you are referring to is an antiflicker capacitor (usually small black box). I did not see any such offerings on their website. Such a fix is very inexpensive (about 10-15 dollars) and is a very viable middle ground.
Sorry I should have been a little clearer. I am an military defense eng...nerd, I have been working with Trucklight to develop a set of military headlights that works with our heavy military trucks. Kind of a side project is making these work on a jeep, i actual have a proto version from trucklight.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry I should have been a little clearer. I am an military defense eng...nerd, I have been working with Trucklight to develop a set of military headlights that works with our heavy military trucks. Kind of a side project is making these work on a jeep, i actual have a proto version from trucklight.
So to be clear then what are you using an inline capacitor or relay harness?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

So to be clear then what are you using an inline capacitor or relay harness?
For the most part yes, but I believe there is something else in there. I get off my lazy ass and walk down to the electrical guys and ask.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

now i'm feeling nervous. i ordered them yesterday. The guys at rebel made it seem like they are plug and play with the harness and i'd like to assume that trucklite figured out all the flickering issues. here's to crossed fingers

Quick Reply: Truck-Lite's New LED Headlamp Series