Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Truck-Lite's New LED Headlamp Series

Old 12-20-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed new Truck-Lites. I can't believe anyone cares about the flickering. I only notice it with the car off, shining at a wall AND I have to be LOOKING for it. Having said that, the lights are AWFULLY GOOD compared to stock but my wife's Mitsubishi Outlander has stock lights that are better than the TLs. BMW factory lights, for example, are way better than the TLs. I guess for $500 I was expecting something miraculous.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

They do look good- to each their own though. The flicker may be small, it didn't bother me at first but it's starting to. It may not in the future- hell, I live with soft top leaks..:idk:
Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tommyfogarty
Just installed new Truck-Lites. I can't believe anyone cares about the flickering. I only notice it with the car off, shining at a wall AND I have to be LOOKING for it. Having said that, the lights are AWFULLY GOOD compared to stock but my wife's Mitsubishi Outlander has stock lights that are better than the TLs. BMW factory lights, for example, are way better than the TLs. I guess for $500 I was expecting something miraculous.
This was exactly my thoughts, which is why I'm exchanging my TLs for JW Speakers. (And I had the SMS harness btw without flicker). Check out the review on JK owners "headlight shoot out" and you'll see what sold me.

TLs way better than stock. Miraculous? Meh.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Led truck-lite problems

Originally Posted by fadeout
I love how people claim to know they'll flicker even though there's no one running them yet.
Bought new truck-lite led headlights flicker with turn signals or brakes applied.bigger problem is they get covered over with snow and slush not good if driving at night .also I need fog lights on to fill-in light
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Risory
Bought new truck-lite led headlights flicker with turn signals or brakes applied.bigger problem is they get covered over with snow and slush not good if driving at night .also I need fog lights on to fill-in light
I live in the snow belt and it's no big deal for us to get 5 to 6 feet of snow in a season easy. Having said that, I agree with the fact that they get covered with snow. They don't produce the heat to melt it away from the lens. That's a simple fix, it's called cleaning your car off before you begin to drive somewhere. Not accusing you of doing this but it cracks me up when I see people driving around with nothing more than a slot on their windshield to see through, on a lighter colored car with no lights on. My TL's are actually too bright to drive around in a heavy snow storm. They reflect way too much light back into my eyes. The same thing happens with other white lights, even stock ones. I have to turn on my PIAA 520's with the crystal ion lenses (yellow fog) to see properly in a snow storm.

I don't need fog's on to cover or fill in for light. The TL's are so bright I don't have to have either of my two sets of fog's on for regular driving at night. I think the problem some of you are explaining is because the lights aren't being powered properly enough through the JK's electrical system due to Jeep utilizing a CANBUS system. Jeep switchhed to CANBUS because from a production stand point it was much more cost effective because all vehicles in Canada have to come factory with DRL's. ANBUS allowed Jeep to use the system for all North American vehicles, allowing the low current draw for DRL's in Canada, yet in the USA being able to turn DRL function off and get away with one electrical system component for both markets.

You want to see the peak performance of these TL's then you need to fork out a few more bucks and get a wiring harness that connects directly to the battery. The harness connects to the positive and negative on the battery and has three leads coming off the harness. One lead plugs into a factory light socket and the other two plug directly into to TL's. This solves the flickering issue caused by JEEP's canbus system and produces a very bright deep white LED light that can turn vampires to dust.

I do however agree that TL should provide such a harness with the lights when being supplied to vehicles running a canbus system. However, this is going to drive the price of the TL's even higher due to what it costs to make the harness. Either way, it would be nice to source this through one vendor rather than having to contact Susquehanna to get a harness. I am very please with the TL's and I can easily wipe snow and slush off them before I get in to drive, and like I said, if you drive in as much snow as we do here in the snow belt then you won't use bright lights anyways, you equip your rig with an amber fog and drive on. I have HID fogs as well, and they aren't as bright as my TL's. I also had HID on a fox body mustang that aren't as bright as the TL's, and I currently own a 325Ci BMW and the lights on it aren't as bright as the TL's.

Quick Reply: Truck-Lite's New LED Headlamp Series