JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   The Staging Area (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/staging-area-20/)
-   -   Easy coast rubicon (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/staging-area-20/easy-coast-rubicon-315827/)

1_rockstar 01-13-2015 11:52 AM

Easy coast rubicon

Anyone know of anyplace on the east coast that is like the rubicon ie. drive all day, camp and then drive out the next day. I would really like to find a place that I can go wheeling and camp that's not a private park.

J_Arnold 01-13-2015 05:46 PM

I'm definitely interested as well! I live in northeast Tennessee and though we have miles of trails , it's illegal to be off of the main forest road. The trails are very old and most have been blocked off or gated. I feel this is gonna be the problem with any trails on the east coast. The government has them all on lockdown :/

mikeJKUR 01-14-2015 01:03 PM

GWNF in Virginia. Most of the eastern side of the state is the forest. You could drive for miles. The hardest trial is in the southwest part of GWNF. The name is Potts mountain jeep trail.

For parks Check out coal creek in TN. The place is huge.
Windrock Park-OHV trail riding, camping, events
There is also black Mountain in Harlan, Kentucky.
Harlan County, Kentucky - Official Web Site - Black Mountain Off-Road Adventure Area

Billbikes 01-14-2015 02:43 PM

Now I've never been to the GWNF, but other than that you're going to find that there's too much private land you'd have to cross anywhere close to the east coast, couple that with decades of off-roaders poaching and tearing up what lands used to be available that most has been closed.
I'm a mountain biker and we've run into the same issue. All it takes is a few to ruin everything for the masses.

OH9JK 01-14-2015 03:06 PM

Windrock for the win!

J_Arnold 01-14-2015 03:49 PM

Haven't been to windrock but I've been to harlan several times. Lots of nice obstacles but I'm not fond of the huge drop offs on every side lol regardless that's where I'll be this weekend!

Gonna check out this GWNF ;)

1_rockstar 01-15-2015 04:33 PM

Been to windrock many times. Did rattle rock trail in 12 minutes with my old buggy. Lol. What is the GWNF?

JK505 01-15-2015 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1_rockstar (Post 4039390)
Been to windrock many times. Did rattle rock trail in 12 minutes with my old buggy. Lol. What is the GWNF?

George Washington national forest in Va. I wouldn't compare it to the Rubicon though. Rubicon looks a lot tougher from what I've seen. GFNF has some good scenery though :thumbsup:

mikeJKUR 01-15-2015 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1_rockstar (Post 4039390)

George Washington National Forest (GWNF)

mikeJKUR 01-15-2015 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by JK505 (Post 4039394)
George Washington national forest in Va. I wouldn't compare it to the Rubicon though. Rubicon looks a lot tougher from what I've seen. GFNF has some good scenery though :thumbsup:

Oh dam didn't see you post. I never made it down to potts mountain but the video that i have since looks like a great trail.
but someone could drive on fire roads without seeing anther person for about 2 to 3 days.