Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch Clunking Noise

Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Clunking Noise

I know there are many threads that deal with this issue, but none of them have resolved the problem. On my '08 2dr Rubicon, my clutch makes a clunky/croaking noise when I press or release the clutch pedal. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE ENGINE IS WARM AND MORE SO UNDER HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES. The thought of a spring chaffing or dry hinge/lever pivoting comes to mind and I can actually feel the chaffing/roughness through the pedal when the noise is present. I don't think its related to the TSB that's out on clutches.

I tried some suggestions after searching this forum for related issues, but I could not find a clutch hydraulic line close to the heat shield/firewall that, if bent slightly, would resolve the problem (maybe the '08 R/H drive is routed differently?).

I've been trying to gain access to the clutch slave cylinder in order to understand what it looks like and if lubrication would solve the problem. It seems however that it's tucked away somewhere between the gearbox and chassis and therefore completely out of sight. Anyone have some pics of the slave cylinder or any possible remedies to the problem?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johanswift
I know there are many threads that deal with this issue, but none of them have resolved the problem. On my '08 2dr Rubicon, my clutch makes a clunky/croaking noise when I press or release the clutch pedal. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE ENGINE IS WARM AND MORE SO UNDER HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES. The thought of a spring chaffing or dry hinge/lever pivoting comes to mind and I can actually feel the chaffing/roughness through the pedal when the noise is present. I don't think its related to the TSB that's out on clutches.

I tried some suggestions after searching this forum for related issues, but I could not find a clutch hydraulic line close to the heat shield/firewall that, if bent slightly, would resolve the problem (maybe the '08 R/H drive is routed differently?).

I've been trying to gain access to the clutch slave cylinder in order to understand what it looks like and if lubrication would solve the problem. It seems however that it's tucked away somewhere between the gearbox and chassis and therefore completely out of sight. Anyone have some pics of the slave cylinder or any possible remedies to the problem?
This should be covered under warrantee. But I don't know nothing about dealers of South Africa!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM !

Quick Reply: Clutch Clunking Noise