Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'08 JK won't pass TX inspection - 02 and Catalyst show "not ready"

Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 JK won't pass TX inspection - 02 and Catalyst show "not ready"

Like the title says, O2 and catalyst show "not ready" -

I have Superchips tuner, but running stock tune - only tire size has been modified. It's been about 1000 miles since I've messed with the programmer and the battery has not been disconnected.

Seems to me that the 02 and Catalyst should set to "ready" after 50-75 miles max.

Ideas on what could be causing them not to set?

Driving me crazy (and the inspection station where I've been to about 5 times now).

I also figured out that you can check the emissions ready status by turning the key on - and waiting - and watching to see if the MIL flashes or not after 15 seconds. Still flashing (meaning not ready).

I'm stumped!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your vin # on this website : h ttp://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/chrysler/index.jsp?screenName=recall

There has been a recall on 02 sensors. see if your's falls into it.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not on the list (for that). All recalls have been taken care of. Wondering if a weak battery can cause the issue of the O2 and catalyst not being ready. It's 4 years old and I'm still on the original battery...
Old 12-29-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also - there are NO codes being thrown. It's my understanding that these are set as "not ready" for a reason - to avoid being able to clear codes and MIL just before inspection - so the PCM will "wait" on these two - but over 1,000 miles is telling me something is wrong.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

I would attempt to first undo your negative terminal on the battery and reset your ECU. If that doesnt help, I would say its time to head to the dealer in Texas. Im at a loss at this point and doesnt sound like anyone else knows either due to lack of responses.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you had your battery disconnected, you have to drive about 100 miles before the computor resets. Put 100 miles reaching at leaset once 60 mph top speed and you should be good to go.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4X4JK
If you had your battery disconnected, you have to drive about 100 miles before the computor resets. Put 100 miles reaching at leaset once 60 mph top speed and you should be good to go.
Interesting. never heard the 100 miles or 60 mph before.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Verify no codes are set. This may require more than one code reader. Not all code readers will see all codes.

According to the '08 service manual, this is what's required to set the
Catalyst / O2 Monitor
The Catalyst and O2 Monitor information are acquired and processed at the same time. Most vehicles will need to be driven at highway speed (less than 50 mph) (73km/h) for a few minutes. Some vehicles run the monitor at idle in drive. If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, using 4th gear may assist in meeting the monitor running criteria.
  • Engine RPM between 1200 to 3000.
  • Engine temperature greater than 70°C (158°F)
  • Engine run time greater than 92 seconds
  • MAP between 10 - 20 kPa (7.5 - 15 Hg)
  • Vehicle speed between 20 - 70 mph (29–103 km/h)
Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, Ron. I checked with my SuperChips programmer - no codes. I also checked with the key method. No codes. It's driving me nuts.

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Verify no codes are set. This may require more than one code reader. Not all code readers will see all codes.

According to the '08 service manual, this is what's required to set the
Catalyst / O2 Monitor
The Catalyst and O2 Monitor information are acquired and processed at the same time. Most vehicles will need to be driven at highway speed (less than 50 mph) (73km/h) for a few minutes. Some vehicles run the monitor at idle in drive. If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, using 4th gear may assist in meeting the monitor running criteria.
  • Engine RPM between 1200 to 3000.
  • Engine temperature greater than 70°C (158°F)
  • Engine run time greater than 92 seconds
  • MAP between 10 - 20 kPa (7.5 - 15 Hg)
  • Vehicle speed between 20 - 70 mph (29–103 km/h)
Old 12-29-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

This may not be the answer you are looking for but it will work IF you have not all ready busted your inspection and had your window sticker scraped off. I've yet to live in a city in Texas that doesn't have an inspection station that will pass anything that manages to roll into the shop, under power or pushed. The trick is finding it. As you are driving around stop and shoot the breeze with the guys cutting lawns, roofers, hauling trash, picking up cans etc. Just ask them where you should get get your jeep inspected. Always worked for me when I was younger and in a bind.

Once your sticker is scraped off some "easy pass" stations will wave you off as there is a record you busted where you failed. Just my two centavos.

Quick Reply: '08 JK won't pass TX inspection - 02 and Catalyst show "not ready"