Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

11’ rubicon climate control

Old 10-18-2017, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11’ rubicon climate control

Hi I have a 2011 rubicon unlimited and my heat only works on the highest temp setting anyone else have this issue? is it the controls themselves?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by 11BlackJKUR
Hi I have a 2011 rubicon unlimited and my heat only works on the highest temp setting anyone else have this issue? is it the controls themselves?
Think this is possibly a blend door issue...like actuator not turning the door till you have it on the highest setting? Sounds like it works in general so not heater core.....more of a control or door issue.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Where would I look for this door? It is the auto climate control
Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 11BlackJKUR
Where would I look for this door? It is the auto climate control
The auto control will not even come on until the vehicle is up to temperature. When you put it to the max temp setting it goes into defrost mode and blasts the a/c at the windscreen.

If your Jeep is hot and only blows hot air at the max setting, then I would suspect the blend door as well. I believe the blend door is burried in the dash behind the glove box.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Look at post #42 in this thread -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-325541/page2/

I would note that this looks like it's on a '12+, but I'm guessing that they probably did not completely re-work this system from '11 to the '12+ models.

I have not had this issue, and I can't say for certain it is the door, but logical thinking would have me checking that door/actuator as my first suspicion. I will say though that most the googling on this stuff makes it look like the common symptom is cold air blowing out one side....and hot air blowing out the other side.

If someone else chimes in with a better response or a more accurate description where to look, I'd defer to them.

edit - i have replaced this type of thing on other vehicles, and "typically" they stop working due to the plastic gears breaking....at which time you hear a little ticking. If you can visually spot the gear moving through a full range, and you can't hear anything....then it's probably ok.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

So I pulled the flapper door motor and inspected it, the teeth on all the gears were fine and the motor worked as it shoul. As I was putting everything together I noticed a spider web inside the air temp sensor, it was thick enough to keep the impeller from spinning and I think it wasn’t reading the temp.
I cleaned it and all the heat settings seem to work.
Thanks for all the advice I was ready to order new manual controls.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Man, if every fix could just be as easy as removing spider web! Hopefully you remain trouble free.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

That last fix didn’t work it’s still doing it.
I’m wondering if it’s a clogged heater core but it only does it on longer drives and works great at the hottest setting

Quick Reply: 11’ rubicon climate control