Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

The 12 quart Oil change!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 12 quart Oil change!

Ok, I'm the kind of guy that never trusts anybody, The only way I can ensure that it is done right is to do it myself. Yeah, I'm not perfect, and if I screw up, then I'm squarly to blame, and I won't pass the buck... Blah blah blah....

So I've always changed my owe oil. It is an easy job, and it is always done right.... Well I bought a new 2012 Wrangler this past January, and with it came 4 free oil changes from the dealer. I figure why not, it's free and how could they screw that up. Well I was due for a change, and I just couldn't get up to the dealer to get it changed due to my busy schedule. So rather than let it go, I changed it myself. I've done it a 1000 times before on my other vehicles, family, neighbors etc. Well this was the first time I was changing the oil on my new Jeep.

Got the pan out, the wrenches, the new oil and filter, and I was all set. So I slid under the jeep and loosened up the drain plug and let the oil drain in to the pan. The oil keep coming and coming. I was worried that the pan was going to over flow on to the driveway that I just sealed last month. When it was all done, I drained out about 12 quarts of oil! Couldn't believe it. Immidiately went to the manual to see how much was supposed to be in there - 6 quarts.

Now any seasoned mechanic would instanstanly say that this is not possible. It would be difficult to fit that much in the engine, and there is no way you would be able to run it witout serious performance issues or other damage. I'm right there with you - I would not think that this is possible. I've done it before on a Harley and it does not run well.

But I pulled 12 quarts out of the 3.6L engine, and I had but about 4000 mi on the oil and had no noticible issues at all.

The oil looked like old oil, no contamination. And yes I did drain the right fluid. The antifreeze is full and so is the tranny. What I think happened is the bone head at the dealership never drained it, and just filled it again. I guess it is also partly my fault for not checking the oil myself, but a brand new vehicle should not have any significant oil loss (I know, that's no excuse not to check it).

The dealership says that it is not possible, but he does not disagree with me that I pulled out 12 quarts.

After pulling in the right amount of oil, there does not appear to be any damage to the engine, yet. I'm going to have the dealer record it as a service entry that there was too much oil in ther just in case any thing happens down the road.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was this an empty open oil catch pan or the kind with a top and a drain?

Is it even possible to pour 12 Qts in there?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could the engine even function with twice the oil capacity in it?

I've always heard that too much oil can be bad...and usually they were talking about a quart or less.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

F*CK dealers! Took our new CRV in for its first change a few years ago, then left on a long trip. First gas stop I saw some oil dripping and checked the dipstick. Over a quart low. We were close to a Honda dealer in Missoula so drove over there. They found the oil plug finger tight. The neophyte who changed it screwed it in without tightening it.

Would have been a lot of fun trying to prove that running the engine out of oil was Honda's fault, but if that plug had fallen out before our first gas stop that's where we'd have been.

I totally agree about making my own mistakes!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

After years of people complaining about the 3.8 burning oil, now the 3.6 MAKES oil.

When will Jeep get it right???

It all boils down to: Keep an eye on those dip sticks.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-31-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
After years of people complaining about the 3.8 burning oil, now the 3.6 MAKES oil.

...and that goes for both dealership service centers, and the stick used for checking the oil level!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kbp810
...and that goes for both dealership service centers, and the stick used for checking the oil level!
Very good point!!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

My wife used to have an Isuzu Rodeo. The only way to change the tranny fluid was to suction it out the filler tube. I took it to a quick oil change place to do it. Heading to a football game right after that (about 30 miles of interstate) I got about halfway there and looked in the rear view and smoke was boiling out of it! Got out and immediately smelled atf. Looked under the hood to find fluid puking up out of the vent hose. Went to the game and all the way back home figuring if it blew up it was on them. That was a Saturday and had to wait till Monday to have them pull some out... after 45 plus miles of it smokin like a freight train they pulled out 5 qts to get the level right! Never did have any problems out of it thankfully!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by otnman; 10-31-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

I agree with the OP on dealer incompetence and doing the oil changes myself except for the free ones. I check the oil level right at the dealer when the Jeep is handed back to me. I can't check if the filter is new due to being encased (Pentastar) but at least I know the level is right.

The dealer that has done the first two oil changes used a suction pump through the dipstic therefore the drain plug is as the factory left it.

I have leaned to never trust anyone that touches my vehicles.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, Jeep just solved the worlds oil problems?

Originally Posted by goaterguy
The dealer that has done the first two oil changes used a suction pump through the dipstic therefore the drain plug is as the factory left it.
Not enough force to clear the resivour of sediment I would think.

I don't see how the Jeep engine or a standard catch pan can hold all that oil. My standard pan is full with just six qts.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 11-01-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: The 12 quart Oil change!