Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 DR soft top, putting it up alone.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 DR soft top, putting it up alone.

I find putting the soft top up to be an epic PITA. I don't mind clipping everything in, getting the windows on, but I always have trouble just lifting the thing back up into place. You lift one side, the other side falls and doesn't clear the roll bars.

So far the best thing I've found is to open the tailgate, stand on my receiver hitch, and lift the whole thing up and try to basically throw it over. Totally sucks!

Then you have to line up the sunrider latches, I'm usually swearing by the end of it.

With another person it's 10x easier. Anyone have some tips?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed a soft top on my rig today, and I feel your pain. I played with it for about an hour, so I could figure out the easiest way to do it by myself. I have a 4 door, so mine is a little heavier and akward than yours. I found that if I lay my back seat down, stand on it and grab the top, I can pull it up and over. Then I climb in the front seat, grab the header and pull it tight. I then procede to latch it down, followed by clipping in the door sills. I think it is just gonna take practice on both of our parts to put a good method together. Hope my method helps.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Flipping the top up from the rear onto the top of the bars can be a pain by yourself since working from one side generally hangs up the other side.

Lately I have been flipping the entire top forward ... this instantly locks the sunrider latches in place. Then I latch the fronts at the windshield and flip the back half back ....
Old 07-26-2009, 01:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dmhines
Flipping the top up from the rear onto the top of the bars can be a pain by yourself since working from one side generally hangs up the other side.

Lately I have been flipping the entire top forward ... this instantly locks the sunrider latches in place. Then I latch the fronts at the windshield and flip the back half back ....
x2.....flip the whole thing over the bars....it makes it real easy.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I stand on the back bumper, lift it up and lay over the roll bars, then get inside the jeep and sit on the center console and pull it over my head into place. Pretty easy way to do it i take the top on and off all the time not too much of a struggle for me. hope this helps
Old 07-26-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan0751
I find putting the soft top up to be an epic PITA. I don't mind clipping everything in, getting the windows on, but I always have trouble just lifting the thing back up into place. You lift one side, the other side falls and doesn't clear the roll bars.

So far the best thing I've found is to open the tailgate, stand on my receiver hitch, and lift the whole thing up and try to basically throw it over. Totally sucks!

Then you have to line up the sunrider latches, I'm usually swearing by the end of it.

With another person it's 10x easier. Anyone have some tips?
i do it the same way, do a few hundred times and its like second nature.. i just hop up there and sling it right over now, takes about 5 mins total.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep. easiest thing is to grab ALL the bows and lift them over the top. Then latch the front ( or snap the sunrider pins in) and then let the back down and secure the rear sails.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Try these:
1 open both doors
2. stand behind your spare tire, and grab the whole top thingo, throw/push it over the roll bars
3. while the top over the roll bar, use one hand to held it up, walk to 1 side of your jeep, use another hand to pull the sunrider bit over the door frame,
4. continue push that sunrider bit down, till you hear 'click', you might need both hand here
5. click the other side
6. now the top is hold in to place pretty well on top of the roll cage. proceed to do the rest bits.

Normally, if I do it slowly, and properly, takes about 12min for me alone to put the top up including ziping all windows etc. take it down is about 5 min including rolling up all windows in the bag.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

The way I do it is climb to the back seats and sit down. Then reach back with both hands and pull it over your head and while holding it latch it on to the hooks.
Sorry I am not good at describing things sometimes.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

try doing it on a 4 door, it's everything you say x2!!! Standing on the back seat and pulling the whole thing in place from there is the best thing I've found for my 4 door.

Quick Reply: 2 DR soft top, putting it up alone.