Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 3.8L Oil Pressure Light - Problems persist

Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went on the road for work for a couple weeks. I did pull the oil pan to check for spun bearings. I pulled one of the rod cap bearings and all looks well, so im going to start thinking about troubleshooting the wire. At this point it can only be the wire, or the oil pressure regulator within the timing chain cover.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Edited
Old 05-12-2017, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
What is the progress with your problem?
Ended up being a chaffed wire hiding in a tough to see place. Replaced the whole wire from the sensor to the PCM - VOILA.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKU07
Ended up being a chaffed wire hiding in a tough to see place. Replaced the whole wire from the sensor to the PCM - VOILA.
My brother has an '07 JKU with the same exact symptoms - can you specify exactly where the wire was chaffed? It would be real helpful to have an idea of where to start - he's looked at the exposed wiring and didn't find anything obvious but I think it's time to dig in deeper and look at the hard to see places.... Just trying to get some helpful insight.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so i had this problem once i was going crazy and was afraid to drive far thinking something woud go wrong in my motor. I read a bunch if forums and so many diff things can be wrong. I came across a post of someone saying that there oil pressure sensor wire was getting tugged on a corner kf the alternator bracket. So i check and sure enough the aire was just slightly being pulled against the bracket. I simply pulled the wire off the kink and left it hang loose. Light never came back on. Hope this helps. I even went and bought a new oil sensor then returned it cause it wasnt the problem. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2020, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having same issue with the oil pressure sensor wire, I did replaced and work fine for a while, section of wire has lost the insulation. Now is coming back, but this time finding oil in the oil pressure sensor plug. I disconnected it and found the contact area wet with oil. Does it means is time a new sensor(sending unit). I think the oil may be shorting the contact? I never seen a oil sender unit allowing oil to pass into the contacts. My is the 2007 Wrangler Unlimited, so it has its miles 150000. Any ideas. Is it difficult to change the sender unit? It is kind of cramp in there? I can barely get my hand in thereto unplug it. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Does anubody have pictures of this wire and it's location?
Old 03-26-2022, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Hi, first comment - this thread just saved me a bunch of time and money Thanks all.

5 hr drive home from Death Valley... ding!... ding!.... ding! dingdingdingding! ergh...
Then I had to drive it 2 more hours the next day. Good times.
I had already figured it must be a sensor issue due to the intermittent nature of the problem, the perfect oil levels, and the fact that I drove it 9 more hours at highway speeds with no other issues. Two shops wanted to run a bunch of tests to see if the pressure was ok before looking at the sensor or the wiring.

After reading this thread, I was able to quickly locate the problem from above, leaning over the passenger side fender, after tracing the wire under a hose and moving the hose out of the way (hooking it over the oil filler cap).

worn wire coating on the oil pressure sensor wire

location in the engine bay - with the corresponding worn spots on metal visible below

Old 03-28-2022, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt.black
Hi, first comment - this thread just saved me a bunch of time and money Thanks all.

5 hr drive home from Death Valley... ding!... ding!.... ding! dingdingdingding! ergh...
Then I had to drive it 2 more hours the next day. Good times.
I had already figured it must be a sensor issue due to the intermittent nature of the problem, the perfect oil levels, and the fact that I drove it 9 more hours at highway speeds with no other issues. Two shops wanted to run a bunch of tests to see if the pressure was ok before looking at the sensor or the wiring.

After reading this thread, I was able to quickly locate the problem from above, leaning over the passenger side fender, after tracing the wire under a hose and moving the hose out of the way (hooking it over the oil filler cap).

This exact thing happened to me this weekend on a similar road trip. 20 hours of ding ding dinging!! What are the odds Thank you for this post it saved me. Here is a link to my documented repair if it helps anyone.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ashing-358347/

Quick Reply: 2007 3.8L Oil Pressure Light - Problems persist