JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   2007 JK 2 Door Soft top removal (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/2007-jk-2-door-soft-top-removal-350993/)

Dinky Dau 07-06-2019 03:07 PM

2007 JK 2 Door Soft top removal

I have an 07 JK 2 door and need to take the soft top off and install a hardtop, I have one coming. I have watched enough video's that now, I am frustrated, 07-17 are not the same like is stated in many web sites..The 07 does not have a lever over the center of the door on either side..I unlatched both front levers located at the windshield top, I have removed all 3 windows, it's a brand new top but I did not watch it being installed..I also unscrewed 4 large bolts over the center of the door going in from the top to the roll bar...how do you release that top. I had to walk away I was getting pissed...HELP would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

karls10jk 07-06-2019 04:40 PM

If you've unscrewed the bolts then you've got the front (sunrider) open, right? The 07-09 had clips that held the top to the door frame (where you unscrewed your 4 large bolts). Can you take a picture of the door surround, focusing towards the apex of it, maybe an inch or so forward of the intersection? If there's no latch there, as I'm understanding you, then once the front is unclipped then it should roll back.

The 07-09 is the same basic setup as the 97-06, of which I've had a small handful. You've released the sail panels, one on each rear corner, and folded them onto the rear section? Once those are folded and you've got the front unclipped then it'll roll right back and you can take out the 2 torx bolts on either side that hold the soft top frame to the roll bar.

Dinky Dau 07-07-2019 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4344918)
If you've unscrewed the bolts then you've got the front (sunrider) open, right? The 07-09 had clips that held the top to the door frame (where you unscrewed your 4 large bolts). Can you take a picture of the door surround, focusing towards the apex of it, maybe an inch or so forward of the intersection? If there's no latch there, as I'm understanding you, then once the front is unclipped then it should roll back.

The 07-09 is the same basic setup as the 97-06, of which I've had a small handful. You've released the sail panels, one on each rear corner, and folded them onto the rear section? Once those are folded and you've got the front unclipped then it'll roll right back and you can take out the 2 torx bolts on either side that hold the soft top frame to the roll bar.

The top is unfastened at the top of the windshield but will not fold back I don't think this one does..Sorry I did not see your post yesterday, I had to take some meds and lay down..I will take pic's as soon as I can this am. Thanks for responding!

karls10jk 07-07-2019 04:15 AM

Just get some pictures when you can and we can go from there. It's sounding like maybe it isn't a factory top but I'd think we can still figure out how to get it off the vehicle.

Dinky Dau 07-07-2019 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4344939)
Just get some pictures when you can and we can go from there. It's sounding like maybe it isn't a factory top but I'd think we can still figure out how to get it off the vehicle.

Thanks for taking your time, My Bride has dementia, so it consumes most of my time..Will get pic's in the next hour...

Dinky Dau 07-07-2019 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4344939)

I don't know if these will help, I also took a pic of the top bed rails where the hardtop is mounted...the holes are there and no nuts underneath, guess I need to purchase some
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...6b3c4479d9.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...7dd31708f0.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...831ed6b630.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...ca83c3e355.jpg

karls10jk 07-07-2019 07:44 AM

I'm working on dismounting tires but give me a quick minute and I'll see if I can get a pic of what I'm looking for in your pictures. Do you have any wider shots so we can see potentially a brand? The material looks like the vinyl in one pic and then more like the acrylic (premium) in another. I'm familiar with the Bestop/ Mopar brand in both fabrics but not as familiar with the other brands of soft tops though they should all work about the same.

As far as the nuts for the bed rail- Amazon is a good place for those. They've got the ones that have a little bit of rubber between the nut and where it would contact the body under the lip. Also come with a twist off style knob so there are no tools required for taking the top off. I bought a set for my brother's TJ and they're quite nice for quickly removing the top.

Dinky Dau 07-07-2019 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4344949)
I'm working on dismounting tires but give me a quick minute and I'll see if I can get a pic of what I'm looking for in your pictures. Do you have any wider shots so we can see potentially a brand? The material looks like the vinyl in one pic and then more like the acrylic (premium) in another. I'm familiar with the Bestop/ Mopar brand in both fabrics but not as familiar with the other brands of soft tops though they should all work about the same.

As far as the nuts for the bed rail- Amazon is a good place for those. They've got the ones that have a little bit of rubber between the nut and where it would contact the body under the lip. Also come with a twist off style knob so there are no tools required for taking the top off. I bought a set for my brother's TJ and they're quite nice for quickly removing the top.

Hey thanks! I did order the 6 bolts with a nob on top for easy removal but did not know about the nuts under the lip not being there. As far as removing the top, I went neandrathol and found out there is no release it did finally pop and I was able to lift and remove the B post and fold it while removing it..Thanks for taking you time to help..Now to order those nuts..Thanks again DD

BoredKender 07-08-2019 06:06 AM

See that little gap by the front in the first pic? Put your finger in there and pull down. there are little lips on that year range that tuck under-to-inside of the door surrounds that have to be pulled out before your top can lift up. Will try to google up some pics/vids of what i mean

Dinky Dau 07-08-2019 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by BoredKender (Post 4344990)
See that little gap by the front in the first pic? Put your finger in there and pull down. there are little lips on that year range that tuck under-to-inside of the door surrounds that have to be pulled out before your top can lift up. Will try to google up some pics/vids of what i mean

Thanks for the suggestion! And thank you for your Service to our Country!