Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2008 Sahara "Side Airbag simulator resistance? Jeep technicians chime in please ;-)

Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2008 Sahara "Side Airbag simulator resistance? Jeep technicians chime in please ;-)

Hey all,

I was rock crawling 0 mph, slide off a rock, hit the rock slider on another rock and the passenger side "side airbag" deployed (wife not happy). Any way I've replaced the seats with 2012 takeouts w/o the side air bag option and now I need to reset the airbag light. I need to know what is the resistance of the side airbag simulator so I can duplicate the resistance and then reset the airbag module, or find an airbag module from a 08 Sahara without the side airbag option. Any information you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.
And for all the naysayers about safety be hush, this is my situation not yours. I'll still have the front airbags operational same as if my Sahara didn't have the side airbag option. (although I will pull the fuse when off roading in the future)
Thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of couriousity, what fuse do you pull? Also if only one side went off can't you just measure the resistance of the seat on the other side?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by BigSteve
Just out of couriousity, what fuse do you pull? Also if only one side went off can't you just measure the resistance of the seat on the other side?
Making a resistance measurement of a operational airbag is not a healthy thing to do, it has the possibility of deploying the airbag , hence there is such a thing as an "airbag simulator" which I could measure the resistance
Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really doubt your going to deploy the airbag if you are just doing a simple resistance measurement. If you were trying to voltage drop the system or something like that maybe but not on an ohm out. Lets say you got an airbag light due to a high resistance fault in one of the side airbags. How would you check it?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by BigSteve
I really doubt your going to deploy the airbag if you are just doing a simple resistance measurement. If you were trying to voltage drop the system or something like that maybe but not on an ohm out. Lets say you got an airbag light due to a high resistance fault in one of the side airbags. How would you check it?
All Ohm meters output a current albeit small, when doing a resistance measurement. All airbag connectors and explosive seat belt connectors have a shorting bar built in so when you unplug the connector the terminals to the airbag are shorted together, i.e. no current flow possible.

"Doubt" is not something you apply when it comes to airbags Hopefully a Jeep Technician will pipe in with information.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by 69mach1
All Ohm meters output a current albeit small, when doing a resistance measurement. All airbag connectors and explosive seat belt connectors have a shorting bar built in so when you unplug the connector the terminals to the airbag are shorted together, i.e. no current flow possible.

"Doubt" is not something you apply when it comes to airbags Hopefully a Jeep Technician will pipe in with information.
Are there no Jeep technicians on this website?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Are there no Jeep technicians on this website?
The answer is 2 to 2.5 ohms so I went with 2.2 ohms and all is good.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Junkie

So where is the fuse? It was my understanding that certain conditions had to be met for the air bag to deploy as far as a velocity (speed and direction of travel).

I have read your other piece about how it went off, etc and it doesn't fit the description for deploying (as you noted) so I'm curious on the fuse as well.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 01-22-2014, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default airbag light

Hello.
Any advice please?
I have a 3door, 2007 Jeep sahara3.8. with deploied drivers airbag. It's fixed now,but annoing red airbaglight & sound persistis. I was told,it can be done by OHM resistor...Any advice what would be the ohm capacity setting resistance? Thanks for advice, Rado

Last edited by rado; 01-22-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default airbag light

Hello.
Any advice please?
I have a 3door, 2007 Jeep sahara3.8. with deploied drivers airbag. It's fixed now,but annoing red airbaglight & sound persistis. I was told,it can be done by OHM resistor...Any advice what would be the ohm capacity setting resistance? Thanks for advice, Rado

Quick Reply: 2008 Sahara "Side Airbag simulator resistance? Jeep technicians chime in please ;-)