JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   2010 high mileage maintenance - suggestions? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/2010-high-mileage-maintenance-suggestions-344226/)

mn_mike 11-10-2017 05:25 PM

2010 high mileage maintenance - suggestions?

I have a 2010 Wrangler JK (Islander Package) and just crossed the 115k mile mark. I'm the original owner and have done all of the scheduled maintenance and haven't had any issues. I plan to keep this Jeep as long as I can so I am looking for suggestions on what maintenance or modifications to do for maximum engine longevity.

Change to a certain type of oil?
Change all of the fluids to synthetic?

Seriously, just looking for suggestions and ideas to help make this this last. In fact, my son gets his license in two years so this might be a great first Jeep for him.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
:thumbsup:

zstairlessone 11-10-2017 06:49 PM

Love the Islanders! I haven't done anything special as I accumulated miles and years, just regular maintenance. Only real thing I'm seeing now are bulbs burning out. Every couple of weeks a new one goes, I should just change them all and be done with it, but I hate giving in like that...

mn_mike 11-10-2017 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by zstairlessone (Post 4308007)
Love the Islanders! I haven't done anything special as I accumulated miles and years, just regular maintenance. Only real thing I'm seeing now are bulbs burning out. Every couple of weeks a new one goes, I should just change them all and be done with it, but I hate giving in like that...

Thank you. Much appreciated!
Mike

Mr.T 11-10-2017 08:56 PM

I keep stuff a long time too, two of my rigs are 30+ years old. Here's what I do beyond the owners manual:
  • Synthetic in everything.
  • Flush the brake fluid every few years.
  • When changing coolant periodically, flush with distilled water first.
  • Do a routine visual inspect underneath.
  • Don't delay troubleshooting & repairs.
  • Do it yourself so it's done right. The expert is a person with a factory manual, have one on hand.

The last isn't for everyone, but its important and worth mentioning. Many problems are related to shoddy prior repairs. These issues can overwhelm an owner, then the vehicle goes up for sale.

Case in point: A couple weeks ago I went with a friend on the Mojave Road -- But before we could go we had to re-repair my friends Jeep in a motel parking lot. Long story short, unit bearings were replaced at a shop a few days prior, but bolts were not torqued. We ended up taking the bearing out and re-installed everything correctly. It steered like crap, but this mechanic even claimed it was aligned!

:beer:

Clark Collins 11-11-2017 06:43 AM

Long term care

If you change your oil on a regular 3K schedule and it doesn't use oil between changes you should stick with whatever oil you have been using instead of changing to synthetic. Even changing to a different brand of oil can sometimes lead to increased oil consumption. All other fluids should be changed according to specs and I concur with the recommendation to do as much of your own maintenance as you can.

mn_mike 11-11-2017 11:42 AM

Thank you