Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 JK Starter Solenoid Not Disengaging

Old 09-16-2016, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JK Starter Solenoid Not Disengaging

Hey all,

This afternoon I drove home without issue. Two hours later I fire up my JK and I hear a whining/grinding sound that was coming out of the motor. After searching around, feeling around, and listening closely, and had a friend do the same, it would appear that the starter solenoid is not disengaging.

Since that first instance, it has happened everytime. We even tried tapping it with a rubber mallet but that didn't seem to want to disengage it.

My thought is that because this is sudden and it doesn't appear to be "mechanically" stuck that maybe the relay is bad and stuck in a closed position... forcing the solenoid to not disengage.

Any thoughts? Any way for me to diagnose with more precision if it is the relay, starter, solenoid, etc? I don't want to throw money at the problem to hopefully fix it. I want to know that the money I spend is going to fix it for sure.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and tested the relays. The starter solenoid relay tested good.

However, the RUN and RUN/ACCESSORY relay both tested closed (with some resistance) regardless of 12v being supplied. I cannot hear an audible click when power is applied.

I'm a little hesitant to believe it though... two bad relays of the same type and the only two of that type that I can find... I could believe one being bad, but two?

The relay model # is 04692139AA

Last edited by JoeDoozer; 09-16-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK Starter Solenoid Not Disengaging