Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 Passenger side lean?

Old 10-07-2017, 07:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
it's in the weight distribution of the Jeep.
Happy Jeeping!
That can't be true. If it were, all JKs would have a visible lean.
When I put 4 scales under my JK, with half a tank of gas, the right and left sides weighed the same.

The tank is on the right, but only by a little bit. There are things on the left, too.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Could it be that the back right corner is where the jeep's weight moves when we accelerate? Fatiguing the spring on that side more quickly than the left??
Old 10-08-2017, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wish i never read this thread
that being said the driver on the left would cancel out the fuel tank on the right
Old 10-08-2017, 06:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by tramp
wish i never read this thread
that being said the driver on the left would cancel out the fuel tank on the right
I would tend to agree that when someone is driving, couple hundred lbs should even this out a bit.

My 4dr has a full tank of gas. Measuring from floor to top of my PSC rocker armor under each door, I notice the following. Driver's side front sits 3/8" higher than passenger front. Driver's side rear sits 1/2" higher than passenger rear. If I ever think about it, I'll have to measure this again when I have an empty tank to see if it evens out just a bit.

I'll still say this is pretty normal. That said....I will not allow this to flare up any OCD tendancies I might have! I just don't really notice it visually.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
That said....I will not allow this to flare up any OCD tendancies I might have! I just don't really notice it visually.
Lucky you! Even though it is a slight lean I can actually notice it as I'm driving..... When I did construction while in college I would actually catch leveling screwups just by passing and taking a glance..... my claim to fame was a 1 degree drop on a 2 foot run...... So as I'm driving I can actually notice the slight lean sideways on the hood...... :(

Should I find some time I have another set of stock springs with same numbers... might just pull the ones I'm running and compare them against the other ones as well as each other and see if there is a "height" difference while unloaded.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JK lean is a common phenomenon. Just like a few others posted new springs or any other suspension parts are not going to fix it. If it bothers you so much then drop your stock gas tank replace with a genright tank in the rear. After about $2500 bucks your leans will be gone

Quick Reply: 2012 Passenger side lean?