Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 Passenger side lean?

Old 09-27-2017, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Passenger side lean?

Ok, this is a weird one - I noticed a while ago that my JK has a slight passenger side lean. I thought that I was parked crooked, but it seems to be still there.

So - it's a stock 2012 with just over 40K miles on it, and the only upgrade is 1.75" poly spacers up front. Where should I start looking first?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your gas tank full of gas? Sounds silly I know, but it's possible.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arson
Is your gas tank full of gas? Sounds silly I know, but it's possible.
LOL - it's 3/4 full but it should not be that visible..... but.... now that you mention, my toolbox is on the passenger side in the back... maybe I should move it to driver side... will see what it does to the lean....
Old 09-27-2017, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I would check your springs for cracks. Also, check the seating of the pucks. Maybe driver side isn't seated correctly which has the effect of lifting the driver side.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Although these are viable options, the lean is nothing new. Its been documented through the years.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I moved the tools in the trunk from passenger to driver side and nothing changed. Maybe after driving around a bit it will be visible..... I did some poking around on the net and while it has been reported by few, it was also reported by about as many others that they don't experience it......

I checked the spacers and they look good - no deformation and they appear to be seated right (I have had them in since May or so.... give or take 7K miles).

I don't like mysteries.....
Old 09-27-2017, 09:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is nothing wrong with your Jeep. You have the "Jeep lean" it is purely cosmetic as the fuel tank is mounted longitudially on the right side of the Jeep. If it really bothers you spend $25 bucks and get a 1/2" Teraflex rear spring spacer and install it. I have one on mine for the exact same reason.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by kejtar
I did some poking around on the net and while it has been reported by few, it was also reported by about as many others that they don't experience it......
I'd bet that more likely the people that say they don't experience it do, they just don't notice it at all. I don't really pay attention to that on mine cuz it's so damn good lookin () that I get distracted, but I bet if you measured everything or checked my angles with some professionally calibrated tools you'd find a similar lean even though I don't see it.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'd bet that more likely the people that say they don't experience it do, they just don't notice it at all. I don't really pay attention to that on mine cuz it's so damn good lookin () that I get distracted, but I bet if you measured everything or checked my angles with some professionally calibrated tools you'd find a similar lean even though I don't see it.
That's possible. But I keep looking at all of the jeeps on the street now with a specific attention to suspension.... I am restraining myself from taking out a tape measure to figure it out.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Mine does it. Did it with the stock 2-door springs, changed out for 4-door springs, still did it, swapped out again for a Teraflex 2.5in coil lift, still does it.

It's not in the springs, it's in the weight distribution of the Jeep. Gas tank and battery are both on the passenger side.

Happy Jeeping!

Quick Reply: 2012 Passenger side lean?