Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 Wrangler JK - Stock Clutch and Flywheel Bad at 40k

Old 09-12-2015, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If what you said happened the way it happened, I would say try replacing the slave cylinder first. I had an 08 that done the same.
And I don't know how the know the whole clutch and flywheel are shot with out pulling it out. You didn't mention anything about it slipping or smelling it burning or hot.
I think their trying to stick you for your hard earned money. IMO
Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nightice08
If what you said happened the way it happened, I would say try replacing the slave cylinder first. I had an 08 that done the same. And I don't know how the know the whole clutch and flywheel are shot with out pulling it out. You didn't mention anything about it slipping or smelling it burning or hot. I think their trying to stick you for your hard earned money. IMO
I'll second that. Clutch pedal going to the floor makes me think it's the slave also.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2012 , 33000 mi. Going to need clutch # 3!!!! Factory one went @ 30000. Full replacement. Now she's gone again? First time the throw out bearing blew up and took out the disc and flywheel. This time the slave cylinder blew and everything's covered in hydraulic fluid so....need to do it again. And no the clutch and all it's buddies are not under warranty! **** this p.o.s.!! I'll never buy another jeep, will be trading in for a Toyota! And the thing is, I knew better! Always owned toyotas and always towed jeeps out to the road where they could get towed to the dealer. So who's the idiot in this tale? Maybe Trump will fix this too? God DAMN America!
Old 12-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Are you serious? 125,000 trouble-free miles on my clutch before I replaced the noisy (unexploded) throwout bearing. The clutch was fine but since I was already in there I figured I may as well replace it. Bearing is $40, slave is $50, and the clutch can be as cheap as $150.

Do you think maybe the issue could be operator error? If you fly off the handle so easily over something so small then maybe the manual wasn't a good choice for you from the get go.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Maybe you just got a bad one somehow. I got 82,000 miles on my 2012. I've even towed a 5000 pound trailer for over 6,000 of those miles. Clutch still feels as good as the day I drove it off the lot.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default lol

i had a creek noise on my new 12 , a while back and took it to the dealership they said its prob a bad clutch and t/b and fork and to plan on about 1200 . I took it to a jeep indy they said about the same pretty much . Are you kidding me? This jeep has has under 30,000 miles and was working perfect the other day. Not even a creek or squeek & ive never had issues with a manual ever before . So I said NO just put in this crown slave cyl i bought . They said thats not going to work . I said Just put it in! 60 bucks for the part from vendor online. and then $ 60 for their labor to install along with a can of brake fluid i bought . I Drove away like the day i bought it. and never had a creek noise ever again. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my clutch or the t/b or fork .works like butter . It was just a noisy slave cyl. Im Just saying Dont believe every thing automotive people tell you . My jeep runs perfect as the day i picked it up at 50,000 miles now no creek and perfect shifting.
They must get suckers to just shell out the cash with no idea . Its really a disgrace how they will try and feed you a line of crap , that goes for a dealer or a indy

* As others said they couldnt know unless they dropped it and took things apart to be sure/ even then id want them to show me the bad parts

Last edited by jeepmojo; 12-26-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rubijorge
I have a 2012 , 33000 mi. Going to need clutch # 3!!!! Factory one went @ 30000. Full replacement. Now she's gone again? First time the throw out bearing blew up and took out the disc and flywheel. This time the slave cylinder blew and everything's covered in hydraulic fluid so....need to do it again. And no the clutch and all it's buddies are not under warranty! **** this p.o.s.!! I'll never buy another jeep, will be trading in for a Toyota! And the thing is, I knew better! Always owned toyotas and always towed jeeps out to the road where they could get towed to the dealer. So who's the idiot in this tale? Maybe Trump will fix this too? God DAMN America!
Maybe the "hydraulic fluid" caused this catastrophic failure? In any event, blaming 'Merica is a big stretch, though it could be plausible that FCA is trying destroy our most American of brands (like Jeep) so they can have us all driving Fiat Cinquecentos (500s)?

Just
Old 02-06-2017, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi guys. I dont mean to hijack this thread but I have a somewhat similar issue. I just got my second jeep at the end of December. It currently has a little over 1700 miles on it. Last night, my wife was driving and had to stop on a hill, no big deal because I know she can drive a manual trans especially with hill start assist. As she tried to get going again, she eased off the clutch like normal until it was fully released but did not move anywhere and lost all power. Immediately afterward, a VERY strong smell came from somewhere in the jeep but no smoke. Since then it kinda shudders when getting going in first gear then fine after that. Smell is still there but not as strong. Clutch pedal doesn't feel spongy or anything like that. I tried to get ahold of the dealership but their next availability isn't until the 2/22. Again, less than 2k miles and no wheeling as of yet. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 2012 Wrangler JK - Stock Clutch and Flywheel Bad at 40k