Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2013 Automatic with CEL P0741 - Dealer issues

Old 06-01-2015, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Automatic with CEL P0741 - Dealer issues

Got the CEL - Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Performance or Stuck On.
Light came on while traveling across Pennsylvania three weeks ago. All is fine except when at hwy speeds and you are climbing a long up hill grade. Seems like you are low on power so you push the gas more and more. RPMs jump up and then you go. CEL pops up. 43,000 miles. Took it in, dealer agreed with code, had to wait 2 weeks for appointment. Problem continuing in between. Dealer called today and said they believe the big wheels and tires are to blame, confusing the torque converter.
Nitto Trail Grappler 295/75/17 on Procomp 17x9.5 rims. Ran these most of last summer, and since this spring. Stocks on for winter.

First off, Big tires on a Jeep is very common...everyone does it. I got the tiresizing from them. Store down the road from them told me to go to the dealer to check out the two jeeps they just modded for them...love the wheels and tires, went back to store and told them to copy exactly.

So, I told dealer all of this...if big tired are too much for transmission, why are you selling them that way on your lot?

They are going to change trans filter and fluid as well as both axels. Will cost me $600, and told me to put the stock wheels back on and see what happens. Sorry so long, your opinions are appreciated.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

big tires dont confuse the torque converter, these jeeps dont use GPS for speed, so as far as the jeep is concerned when you piut bigger tires on, the speedometer to the human is wrong but the wheel RPM to transmission is the same, even changing that doesnt cause issues as people regear their axles all the time without issue..

its true when pumping a hill that the converter unlocks, sometimes for a long period of time to help give you power, it may even shift out of overdrive down a gear as well, neither of those should hurt it.. (other than running converter unlocked can run the trans temp up pretty quickly)..

what dealer are you going to? if its performance, get it outta there, if its crown then im surprised as ive had good luck with them and they seem Mod friendly from what ive seen / heard.

-Christopher
Old 06-02-2015, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also curious to see which dealership you have had it in that is giving you that line.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

It is at Automax Chyrsler Dodge Jeep(formally Carriage Town). He is not blaming diameter. He is saying the weight. I guess towing a 3,500 lb trailer is ok, but not and extra 100 lb of rubber. What is worst, he said if he turned in the warranty request and listed the tires, they would likely get turned down. He didn't,t even ask. He told me put the stockers back on and see if it happens again.
I am going to take my business somewhere else. I thought I heard it all...I was wrong.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say take it to either Crown in Dublin or Bob Caldwell on Morse Road.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
big tires dont confuse the torque converter, these jeeps dont use GPS for speed, so as far as the jeep is concerned when you piut bigger tires on, the speedometer to the human is wrong but the wheel RPM to transmission is the same, even changing that doesnt cause issues as people regear their axles all the time without issue..

its true when pumping a hill that the converter unlocks, sometimes for a long period of time to help give you power, it may even shift out of overdrive down a gear as well, neither of those should hurt it.. (other than running converter unlocked can run the trans temp up pretty quickly)..

what dealer are you going to? if its performance, get it outta there, if its crown then im surprised as ive had good luck with them and they seem Mod friendly from what ive seen / heard.

-Christopher
So what you are saying is that diameter of the tire makes no difference. Since the speed sensors are reading the speed from the hub ring as it does for the ABS, a larger diameter tire will reflect in a lower indicated speed in the electric speedo. These are the same signals given to the PCM and TCM for shift points and fuel injection metering maybe I'm wrong. I would wonder if lower indicated speed would cause the trans to stay in gear longer and keep the torque convertor from engaging at proper speeds. I know after changing tire size with my Flashpaq it seemed to change my shift points...

Last edited by SHOELESS; 06-03-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

of course if you change things with flashpaq the computers are going to react differently..

what I said was just if you changed the tire size out the jeep has no idea its physically moving faster then before.. . extra large tires can make the jeep work harder.. which as mentioned should be no different than towing a trailer..

the engine to tailshaft ratio never changes, which is where i believe that code comes from is it thinks the converter clutch wither should be engaged and isnt or isnt engaged and should be.. at least thats the way the old GM's were.. just looked at Engine RPM vs tail-shaft sensor speed..

-Christopher
Old 06-05-2015, 12:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I put 35's on my 07 the transmission shifting was way off, as soon as I calibrated the tire size to the computer the shift points were back to normal
Old 07-10-2015, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Update: took Jeep to different dealer. They look up bulletins, found that in the date code on my transmissions was made during a time frame that they had manufacturing issues with the input shaft. jeep told them not to rebuild it, and sent a brand new transmission. All covered under the 50,000 mile power train warrantee.

First dealer will never see me look there way again!!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: 2013 Automatic with CEL P0741 - Dealer issues