Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 Jeep JKU 6-speed Transmission Noise

Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by napamat87
I don't worry about the noises , its an all aluminum Benz trans..... It's gunna make noise , just the nature of the beast .....that's what a 100k mile warranty is for. Have you ever listened to a 3/4 - 1ton ford powerstroke ? Those transmissions sound like there going to disentegrate every time you let out on the clutch....LOL a lot of the noises we hear in the nsg 370 are due to the water like sychromesh they use today. Gear lube of yesterdays standards was a much better lubricant .....
I feel that you make some very good points. The Dodge manual mated with the cummins diesel also makes lots of noise, yet is considered to be one of the most reliable combinations available. I cannot speak to some of the reports here on this forum, as I do not know the specifics of each case, but I do believe that there must be some isolated cases of disappointment, and the large majority are satisfied 6 speed owners. I wonder if we could hear from satisfied owners of the manual 6 speed that have 50K, 75K, 100k and more on them? I do not want to discount the issues that some people are having, but it could almost seem as if there is not a satisfactory manual JK made today if I were to only listen to some of the disappointed owners I have been following on this forum. I want to believe that this is not the case and that the vast majority are operating as expected. Am I just being a hopeful idiot? I (hope) not
My 2013 JKUR is perfect at 200 miles . At this point I am banking on American ingenuity and German engineering to have produced an innovative yet reliable vehicle that I will enjoy for years and many many miles. Would like to hear opinions...

Cheers.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Coming up on 200k original everything drivetrain related, running 37s. No problems and very happy with my 3.8 manual 4:10.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2982866658.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	404638   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2366716881.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	404639   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2651291449.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	404640  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lancejk
Coming up on 200k original everything drivetrain related, running 37s. No problems and very happy with my 3.8 manual 4:10.
Thanks for the positive report
200k is great!! Do you know if that the same 6 speed manual that is being used now?

Happy Jeepin'
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daninbend
I feel that you make some very good points. The Dodge manual mated with the cummins diesel also makes lots of noise, yet is considered to be one of the most reliable combinations available. I cannot speak to some of the reports here on this forum, as I do not know the specifics of each case, but I do believe that there must be some isolated cases of disappointment, and the large majority are satisfied 6 speed owners. I wonder if we could hear from satisfied owners of the manual 6 speed that have 50K, 75K, 100k and more on them? I do not want to discount the issues that some people are having, but it could almost seem as if there is not a satisfactory manual JK made today if I were to only listen to some of the disappointed owners I have been following on this forum. I want to believe that this is not the case and that the vast majority are operating as expected. Am I just being a hopeful idiot? I (hope) not
My 2013 JKUR is perfect at 200 miles . At this point I am banking on American ingenuity and German engineering to have produced an innovative yet reliable vehicle that I will enjoy for years and many many miles. Would like to hear opinions...

Cheers.
Just so you know, I've owned a 2008 six speed JKU X, a 2011 six speed Sport, and now this 2012 six speed JKU Rubicon. This Rubicon is the only one that has produced such ridiculous noises from the transmission *and* engine. The 2008 had some light 'chirping' coming from the stick, but it had more miles on it and that noise never really bothered me much. Again, night and day difference in this transmission from my other wranglers.

I don't understand why people perpetuate the "it's a Jeep - it makes random noises" mentality. No, the transmission wasn't making these metal-on-metal noises when I bought it. Yes, they've been getting louder and more obnoxious - and is making new noises every week it seems. I understand what you are saying... but something is wrong with the transmission, not my perception of it.

This thread has a poll in it, currently 69% of people who voted have issues. This isn't just a coincidence. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...e-poll-254683/
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

One question, Have any of the owners that are experiencing these manual transmissions noise issues ever check the adjustment on the clutch system of their Jk's? Could it be possible that cause of these noises is an out of adjustment clutch system? I only ask because my own experience with manual trans., not Jeep transmissions, but with Toyota Trucks. I really will like to know since I'm hoping to become a JK owner this year.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by napamat87
Guys they're standards ....they will make a little noise as they break in. These nsg370s are not sports car trannys ....they are long throw truck like transmissions. A few things you can do to cut down on noise is switch to either royal purple sychromax or red line synthetic sychromesh, the synthetic fluid will quiet them down a little and make them shift a little smoother.
I understand that the transmissions are clearly different from short shift sports cars, yet the knocking is more than enough to drive someone away from manual to automatic.

I took my car to the dealership on the 31st before the shop closed for new years, and got a phone call 30 minute after they opened to tell me my car is ready for pickup. They could not replicate the issue because clearly in 30 minutes they were able to troubleshoot a line of 10 cars in front of me /sarcasm. I called the manager directly and he seemed to be genuinely concerned, so here's to hoping that they find my issue this time.

At least my 2013 Sahara is running like a dream w/ it's automatic tranny
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MortuaR
Just so you know, I've owned a 2008 six speed JKU X, a 2011 six speed Sport, and now this 2012 six speed JKU Rubicon. This Rubicon is the only one that has produced such ridiculous noises from the transmission *and* engine. The 2008 had some light 'chirping' coming from the stick, but it had more miles on it and that noise never really bothered me much. Again, night and day difference in this transmission from my other wranglers.

I don't understand why people perpetuate the "it's a Jeep - it makes random noises" mentality. No, the transmission wasn't making these metal-on-metal noises when I bought it. Yes, they've been getting louder and more obnoxious - and is making new noises every week it seems. I understand what you are saying... but something is wrong with the transmission, not my perception of it.

This thread has a poll in it, currently 69% of people who voted have issues. This isn't just a coincidence. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...e-poll-254683/
MortuaR, thanks for pointing me to the poll on the standards. I certainly cannot deny that you have lots of experience with these vehicles and the manual transmissions. I also totally believe that you do have a problem. All of the issues that are posted on this forum are certainly disheartening

I only hope that my experience with my brand new 2013 JKUR is better. Good luck to you,,,,

Cheers!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daninbend
MortuaR, thanks for pointing me to the poll on the standards. I certainly cannot deny that you have lots of experience with these vehicles and the manual transmissions. I also totally believe that you do have a problem. All of the issues that are posted on this forum are certainly disheartening

I only hope that my experience with my brand new 2013 JKUR is better. Good luck to you,,,,

Cheers!
I hope you have nothing but great experiences with your 2013. I'm hopeful that at least some of the manual transmission JKs they're churning out have no problems whatsoever... I'm just worried that the majority will have problems (based on what I've read/seen).

Best of luck as well. Here is to hoping you don't have to go through this mess.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

There have also been a few reports of the transmission being underfilled from the factory with lubricant.....so if your having noise you may want to check the level....
Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Anything definitive on the source of this noise ? Is there a TSB or recall ?

2013 JKUR with 1600 miles and I hear the rattle at low RPM

Quick Reply: 2013 Jeep JKU 6-speed Transmission Noise