Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2014 JK (P0344 CODE; stop the nightmare)

Old 08-06-2020, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer Tech has performed all Testing options, cannot find any items and will be taking Valve Covers off (both sides), along with Chain Case Cover. No other options at this point...so 8hrs to Tear down and put back together. No other choice...need the Jeep back and have to bite the bullet; this stinks!
Old 08-12-2020, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Update: 8/12/20...yeah it's still at the DEALER.

Tech is finally pulling the Valve Cover off and going in to the Chain Case Cover today. Initial feedback after pulling the Valve Cover off, Tech noticed the Exhaust CAM is not giving him a Reading, but the Intake CAM is giving a Reading. Wondering if Exhaust CAM MAG Ring is bad. Waiting for further feedback now, but wanted to give an update as I have been just sitting by the phone waiting, waiting, and waiting.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Maybe the phasers? When my 2014 broke an exhaust spring they repaired and put everything together. It ran fine but kept giving a code. Apparently the magnetization on the cams and phasers can get whacked. The replaces the cams and phasers and that fixed the code.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Both Phasers on the BANK-1 have been replaced, along with Oil Control Valve Bolt on the Intake CAM.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

3-WEEK's later; the JEEP is still at the Dealer. The Tech has not worked on the Jeep all 3-Weeks; basically he has had to pick/chip away at it when time permits due to getting pulled away.

Today received a call and Dealer_Tech and he feels the Exhaust CAM on BANK-1 is potential Root Cause. The Exhaust CAM will not give a reading while using the CPS, but the Intake CAM is reading correct via CPS. The Intake CAM is the part that had been replaced due to bad CAM Lobe and bad Rocker.
So today the Tech is going to Replace the Exhaust CAM, pull the Chain Case Cover and ensure Timing Chains are set correct per my last major replacement of the Chains.

Nice to hear from the Dealer Tech that he was impressed with the work my Son and I regarding our 1st ever attempt at replacing the Chains and attention to Detail taken during repair/replacement.

Fingers, Toes, and Eye's are Crossed hoping the CAM replacement is the FIX...it's been 10-Weeks now for this saga!

The Tear-Down at Dealer
Old 08-20-2020, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Update 8-20-20; Dealer Tech called yesterday to inform me the metal Debris from the Original CAM (Bank-1) has left such a significant amount of "Metal Debris" in the Engine and caused wear in the Intake Lobes holding the CAM. The fine groves noted on the Intake side along with Bearing Cap wear are not allowing consistent Oil Pressure. The PHASER's are trying to keep oil pressure consistent, but unable to and create the erratic readings noted on the scope along with the Sync issue noted. The intake and Cams could be replaced, but after looking at the drive side CAM and pulling a few of the bearing caps off; the metal debris had been noted.

So...everyone knows what that means, Engine is Toast. Working on Replacing with MOPAR Replacement Engine (3yr and 100k warranty.) Sucks all this time, effort , and $,$$$.$$ spent by my son and I, now to find out 11-Weeks ago I should have just pulled the Engine and moved on.

Metal Debris on CAM O.D.; wearing Intake

Old 09-18-2020, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Last Update on the 2014 JK P0344 issue...

The Tech provided the final evidence to show the Metal Debris had created wear in the Head Bearing Cap Lobs and could not hold Oil Pressure correctly. The CAM Phasers were fighting to keep oil pressure while it escaped past the CAM. Bottom Line the Engine was Toast due to Metal Debris and replacing the Head was not an option as we are keeping the Jeep. So NEW Engine is installed with 3/100 Warranty. The biggest frustration is ALL the Time spent on this over the past 15 weeks trying to diagnose the P0344 and going through all the tasks out lined in my attachment at the start of the thread. While my son and I have been able to do more that most people would ever even think of, I will Take every minute with my Son and be Thankful for the time together tearing an engine apart 4x on the CAM, Replacing the Timing Chains, Etc. It's been a journey in a half to say the least, but now back on the Road. Just wish the P0344 CODE would guide a little better.

Damage to Head

CAM showing the Metal Debris scoring the CAM
The following users liked this post:
Mark Blume (11-23-2023)
Old 10-15-2020, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry been busy trying to find new work since my business went belly up during pandemic. This all sucks. I haven’t had time to drop mine off to my mechanic but I can time it perfectly. 20 minutes into drive every time I go into limp mode and have been manually shifting. Hate those long inclines. I really scared and also thinking my engine is shot then. I am so pissed and can’t really afford to get a new engine at this time. Putting salt on the wound I just received my title in the mail after paying off all these years. Proud owner of a Jeep with out a engine!
Old 03-27-2021, 11:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue with my 2014 JK. Any chance I can chat with you offline to trade notes? my email address is charris95@gmail.com. I really hope that i dont have the same issue you are having.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by charris95
I am having the same issue with my 2014 JK. Any chance I can chat with you offline to trade notes? my email address is charris95@gmail.com. I really hope that i dont have the same issue you are having.
sent a message...odds are the same issue is happening to the 2014 that we had happen, sorry to say but it appears to be a Known issue that followed that year. Passenger Side Cam Lob's closer to the Firewall appears to be the area for Wear/Failure and then just creates bigger problem down the road with Metal in the Head. With all the time we spent, I wished we had know the ROOT Cause of the P0344 Code and not wasted our summer tearing down the motor 4x.

Quick Reply: 2014 JK (P0344 CODE; stop the nightmare)