Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2015 JKR ticking

Old 12-29-2016, 03:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep us posted.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrysler has decided to replace all of the cam followers and a few of the hydraulic lash adjusters (lifters). The service advisor told me a cam follower roller failure caused the ticking. I only put maybe 100 miles on the jeep once the ticking started (enough to get home), and they said the cam lobes were fine. Pictures and details on the pentastar valvetrain:

https://www.moparmagazine.com/2016/0...r-replacement/
Old 01-02-2017, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

They replaced all 24 of the rockers and 4 "collapsed" valve lash adjusters on the passenger side.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wjfawb0
They replaced all 24 of the rockers and 4 "collapsed" valve lash adjusters on the passenger side.

i'm glad to hear that they took care of you. So any lessons learned that others can benefit from? is there anything in particular that causes this or increases the likelihood that this can/will happen?
Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

I change the oil on the jeep every 5,000-8,000 miles based on trip 2 using the mopar filter and 5W-20 Motorcraft synthetic blend oil. Other than slow speed crawling, I baby the jeep. I don't know what you can do to prevent the problem. I bought the tech authority CD so I'd be prepared to do this once it's out of warranty. Everyone I know who has a 3.6 has had to have a head replaced or some type of valve train work. One lady I know who has a 2013 rubicon at 90,000 miles, and her heater barely works on the driver's side. My next door neighbor just bought a 2016 Sahara, and he's the only 3.6 owner that hasn't been to the shop yet.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Wow, that sucks this problem persists this far into production on the 3.6 motor. This is going to cost Chrysler, I mean Fiat, a lot of money.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2016 with 18K miles that has been in the shop for 5 days now because of a very noticeable ticking coming from the drivers side of the engine. They said they have replaced some lifters and rockers, but still hear some ticking noise that isn't normal. So they want to keep it longer to make sure it's completely fixed before I pick it up. I'm really discouraged at this point thinking about the issues I may have with this engine down the road.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by maranellotech
I have a 2016 with 18K miles that has been in the shop for 5 days now because of a very noticeable ticking coming from the drivers side of the engine. They said they have replaced some lifters and rockers, but still hear some ticking noise that isn't normal. So they want to keep it longer to make sure it's completely fixed before I pick it up. I'm really discouraged at this point thinking about the issues I may have with this engine down the road.
Just an update on my 2016 that has been in the shop for 12 days total now...the first dealer replaced all the lifters on the drivers side and said it was fixed. I got it home and it was still ticking. Took it to a different dealer, they replaced the rocker arms, and said that it was still ticking. So now, they are going to replace the cylinder head.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

I took mine to the dealership to have mine checked out as I was explaining to him what it was doing another employee stepped in and described exactly what I was saying. In detail even what side I was hearing it on(drivers side). He said mine too, that it was the fuel pump and that that was normal that it makes that noise in some Jeeps. It may have been BS I don't know never had any problems there before. They said they would check it out anyways. He even said, " yeah you can really hear it at the drive thru". I had a 2013 that made the same ticking noise. I left it there for a day, they said it was fine. Being that another Jeeper who was also an employee there described the same problem I kinda took their word for it, especially that there are other Jeepers who work there. Who knows? Maybe that's why they can't seem to fix the problem of the tick on some Jeeps.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr. Bungle_cjjk
I took mine to the dealership to have mine checked out as I was explaining to him what it was doing another employee stepped in and described exactly what I was saying. In detail even what side I was hearing it on(drivers side). He said mine too, that it was the fuel pump and that that was normal that it makes that noise in some Jeeps. It may have been BS I don't know never had any problems there before. They said they would check it out anyways. He even said, " yeah you can really hear it at the drive thru". I had a 2013 that made the same ticking noise. I left it there for a day, they said it was fine. Being that another Jeeper who was also an employee there described the same problem I kinda took their word for it, especially that there are other Jeepers who work there. Who knows? Maybe that's why they can't seem to fix the problem of the tick on some Jeeps.
Yeah, I fully expected the dealer to say it was normal too. Luckily both dealers I have dealt with immediately heard the noise and admitted that it wasn't normal. I've had the problem for several thousand miles because I was beginning to think it was normal too. Then I listened to several other Jeeps and didn't hear the noise, so I decided to get it checked out.

Quick Reply: 2015 JKR ticking