Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 Rubicon coolant vanishing...why?

Old 06-07-2016, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default most likey

That many days in a dealer for repairs would warrant lemon laws id assume .
Ive owned many trucks in my past i really wanted to have a jeep wrangler
I never had so many issues with any of my trucks or cars in the past as ive experienced with the two wranglers ive owned . However i really love my jeep over all its the issues and dealerships lack of wanting to fix warranty issues with out nearly going to battle over it that is a disgrace . As of lately things have been ok with mine at 40.000 miles but the first 20,000 sucked . My first jeep sport 2011 was a bath tub of leaks and i traded it. They told me they all leak . funny My rubicon has not dripped one drop of rain water in 5 years . Ill keep this one , and maybe buy another in the future if quality control gets better but if not i couldnt say id be so loyal if they dont back their warranty repairs when you need it. Its like
prepare for ignorance every time you go to the dealer and poor outcome . If they treat you well youl return for another vehicle its that simple.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bet it's the oil cooler under the intake...

Lube techs over torque the filter cap and it breaks the cheesy oring seals or cracks the housing.

Hard to find because there's plenty of crevices for the coolant to pool into. These crevices are then heated by the engine and will cook off most of the coolant, therefore making it very difficult to locate.

Usually the only trace left is if some spills out the back. Damn near impossible to see due to the 3.6 being stuffed up right next to the firewall.

Have them inspect by looking at the trans bellhousing from underneath...

Or just demand the oil cooler be replaced for customer satisfaction.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:31 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kerberos
I'll bet it's the oil cooler under the intake...

Exactly what I mentioned on a similar thread and the guy is still asking if he should get it checked out.

I must be speaking Chinese...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...4/#post4221857
Old 06-08-2016, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
Exactly what I mentioned on a similar thread and the guy is still asking if he should get it checked out.

I must be speaking Chinese...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...4/#post4221857
You can lead a horse to water...
Old 06-08-2016, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

I was having the same exact issue as you. Lose of coolant in tank, sweet smell in the front grill area, no visible leaks. Took about 6 months of back and forth to the dealer. New radiator cap didn't help, new hoses didn't help, leak die couldn't find it. Dealer finally dropped in a new radiator, and it's fixed. Just drove to Florida and back and put 2600 miles on it and not a single bit of antifreeze lose in the tank.

Last edited by batt75batt75; 06-08-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:24 AM
JK Junkie

Default does anyone know if the coolant system

is part of a engine power train warranty ? i was told early on it was not but find that to be odd seeing the coolant system is a important part of the engine
Old 06-08-2016, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
is part of a engine power train warranty ? i was told early on it was not but find that to be odd seeing the coolant system is a important part of the engine
Water pump usually is, sometimes coolers, sometimes not...

Your dealer should be able to look up any individual component and tell you if its considered powertrain or not...

Powertrain generally covers any "internally lubricated" component; but that's just a generalization.

Make sure you've got your VIN when you call so that accurate warranty information can be obtained.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Default yeh thanks

i do have a warranty booklet that shows whats covered for parts , ill have to go through it with fine tooth comb one of these days it didnt cover the thermostat & housing that i do know . mine dosent loose coolant but i do get a wiff now and then when i first turn on the heat then goes away .
Old 06-08-2016, 07:21 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepmojo

My oil cooler housing was covered under the power train warranty. 2012. Part failed around 73k miles. If it wasn't on there before, I think Chrysler probably went ahead and chalked the part on there since there have been massive failures on the 2014 with this specific part.

---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...oblems-303650/

---> http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/20...ue-698297.html

The 2012's and 2013's have seem to be holding up longer as I believe there was a vendor change on the mfg of this part after the 2013 model year.

It is the oil cooler/coolant housing and both the engine oil and the engine coolant run through this unit. So you may leak oil, coolant, or both.

Parts replaced on mine were the following (this is for a 2012 and 2013's should be the same. 2014's use a different part number for the housing unit):

1 pc #5184294AE - housing unit
6 pc #5184562AC - gasket, intake plenum
6 pc #5184331AC - gasket, intake manifold
Engine coolant flush
2012's use HOAT coolant

http://www.moparamerica.com/oe-mopar/5184294ae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjGnEI1HmNY&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by DJ1; 06-08-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie

Default hmmm

good info video thanks for the share . I then had to look and see if my spring valve was still there (it is )

Quick Reply: 2015 Rubicon coolant vanishing...why?